1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Fable known as The PACE Trial
Graham, Janelle and Bob, have once again excelled themselves with their latest take on the 'poisoned apple' that was the PACE Trial...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

visit to doctor - mercury - glutathione vs.metallothionein

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by globalpilot, Feb 23, 2011.

1. globalpilot

globalpilot Senior Member

Ontario
    Hi Rich and group,

Also at the appointment yesterday we discussed my heavy metals always being low on tests until raising my glutathione. We thought maybe they rose on the urine test because my raised glutathione was mobilizing them from the cell out into the urine.

He said that glutathione doesn't detox mercury ... that metallothionein does that.

Is this true ?

Regards,
    GlobalPilot
  2. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, GlobalPilot.

The metallothioneins play several roles in the cells. They contain a lot of cysteine, and therefore have many sulfhydryl groups, and are able to bind a range of metals, both essential ones and toxic ones. Storage and distribution of zinc appears to be a major role that they play. It can also bind toxic metals, including mercury, but they do not take them out of the cell, as far as I know. The metallothioneins can also act as antioxidants.

Glutathione binds mercury and does take it out of cells. Mercury is excreted bound to the cysteine that was part of the glutathione molecule.

Best regards,

Rich
  3. globalpilot

globalpilot Senior Member

Ontario
    Thank you Rich.

Is it the cysteine or the glutathone that is relevant in getting the mercury out of the cell.

I've been working hard to get my glutathione up to normal - whey, pycnogenol, methylation protocal. I was able to get my RBC in the normal range which I know isn't as good as a plasma measurement but that is all i'm able to get here.

I've just submitted another urine to Doctors Data to see if anymore metals are coming out.

Do you have any insights into my other two questions ? especially the one about low mercury in hair being a red flag.
  4. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Hi, globalpilot.

The glutathione conjugation system is kind of complicated and involves the cooperation of several organs. There's a section in this paper that discusses it in some detail, and I recommend that you check it out: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1566771/pdf/envhper00410-0081.pdf

I'll ponder your other questions.

Best regards,

Rich

See more popular forum discussions.