1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Virus Tied to Fatigue, HIV May Be in Blood Supply

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by shrewsbury, Apr 5, 2010.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

2. serenity

serenity Senior Member

Austin
    that is certainly some very strong wording

3. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
    I don't think the author of the title read the article as posted on Newser. That should say 'XMRV may be in blood supply'.

The article also states: No tests for the virus have yet proven completely accurate, and, chillingly, researchers have suggested that XMRV is treatable with the same drugs used to combat HIV.

I'm not sure what's chilling about HIV drugs possibly treating XMRV. This article/title is probably just a really bad summary of the WSJ article (or an aggregation application messing up in grand stype) but winds up being irresponsible dissemination of the "news".

Otis

4. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 *****

LOL I wondered the same thing--I would say it is promising or hopeful not chilling! I left a comment anyway about CFS.

5. parvofighter

parvofighter Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks again IF!

Islandfinn, you're on fire!

Here's my take, CFS, Otis and Danib. It's welcome (and not at all surprising) news to us that we might be infected with a cousin of HIV. It's chilling to those who thought CFS was "nothing" - finally they're realizing just how seriously ill we have been all along.

Chilling is great!

Just chillin' here with my bone.:Retro smile:

6. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
    I don't think the author of the title read the article as posted on Newser. That should say 'XMRV may be in blood supply'.

The article also states: No tests for the virus have yet proven completely accurate, and, chillingly, researchers have suggested that XMRV is treatable with the same drugs used to combat HIV.

I'm not sure what's chilling about HIV drugs possibly treating XMRV. This article/title is probably just a really bad summary of the WSJ article (or an aggregation application messing up in grand stype) but winds up being irresponsible dissemination of the "news".

Otis

7. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    Yes, they are finally catching our chills. Seems some retrovirologists have caught our fever.

Tina

8. Koan

Koan Be the change.

It's been changed to:

"Virus XMRV, Loosely Tied to Fatigue Syndrome and Cancer, May"

I think the content is churned out pretty quickly "for patients and their families" and they just got lucky that such an official sounding domain happened to be available.

9. serenity

serenity Senior Member

Austin
    i'm with ya' Parvo, i feel the same way. i knew i was that sick, it isn't news to me.
    but i used to be in PR & i know media - that is strong wording, the type that is meant to get attention.
    can't decide if it's good or bad, but all PR is good PR i guess ...

10. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
    Islandfinn, despite his modesty, is definitely kicken butt and taking names. :victory:

It was the screwy headline that did make me wonder about this article. The words 'HIV May Be in Blood Supply' do really jump out. I hope that didn't freak too make people out. Of course until we know how to deal with XMRV it's more dangerous to the blood supply than HIV given the lack of screening.

But I'm happy to see some third tier news sites picking stories up, even in such an squirrely way.

Parvo, maybe I need to take up the bone habit and chill right along with you. Woof! :Retro smile:

Otis

11. serenity

serenity Senior Member

Austin
    it's sensationalistic journalism, not particularly ethical or accurate but not inaccurate either - just puttin a spin that makes it sound ominous. & that is ok, i guess, except as Otis said ... we aren't looking to freak people out, just give them the facts.

12. JT1024

JT1024 Senior Member

Massachusetts
    :thumbsup:

Island Finn! Keep it coming!

Part of me wishes I could do the research you do but the other part of me is thankful I can still (barely) work full time.

A big thank you for all the great finds!

~ JT

See more popular forum discussions.