• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Virus Onset = Antiviral?

sb4

Is it the case that if your symptoms started after a virus, you should seek antiviral treatment?

For me it started after awful tonsillitis and freshers flu.

Is there anyway to test this easily ie LDN?

Hip

If you take some blood tests to identify any ME/CFS-associated viruses in your body that are chronic active infections (as opposed to past dormant infections), then you can try some antivirals or immunomodulators to fight these active viruses, and some studies have shown this can bring some improvement in ME/CFS symptoms.

Details about the most important viruses to test for are given in the roadmap of chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) blood tests and treatments (see the section: "1st Round Tests: Common Microbial Infections in ME/CFS").

In the case of herpes family viruses like Epstein-Barr virus, HHV-6 and cytomegalovirus, Dr Lerner's study found that antiviral treatment needs to be taken for around 2 years before major improvement manifests. In the case of enteroviruses like coxsackievirus B and echovirus, oxymatrine treatment can bring improvements within two months.

Low-dose naltrexone (LDN) is not a test for viruses, but a treatment for ME/CFS. Note that LDN may not work unless you also take vitamin D3.

Last edited: