1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Virology Blog - Publication of XMRV papers should not be blocked

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by CBS, Jun 30, 2010.

1. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Dr. Racaniello weighs in on holding the XMRV papers

http://www.virology.ws/2010/06/30/publication-of-xmrv-papers-should-not-be-blocked/

I think he does pretty good job of highlighting the dangers of holding back research that has been reviewed and accepted for publication (I'm sure he's holding his breath to hear my opinion on his blog :Retro redface:).

2. JillBohr

JillBohr Senior Member

Columbus, OH
    Thank you for posting this. I was thinking along the same lines but not able to write is as eloquently as Dr. Racaniello. I just had 4 letter words running through my mind.

3. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Part of what I take from Dr. Racaniello's post is that we are as NOT alone as we have been conditioned to think we are.

All we've ever wanted was a good faith effort to uncover the truth. I think that's all that good scientists want as well.

We're finally getting that opportunity and the government is trying to manage the situation (this is not business as usual). There would be nothing to manage if the government had been acting with our interest in mind all along.

It's nice to know that scientists are letting their opinions be heard on this. Let's hope that there is a general sense of outrage being expressed "behind the scenes" and that the HHS is feeling pressure to let science work.

4. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Right! I certainly hope so too.

5. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    And he is making the point that responsibility ultimately is with the journals. Once approved, it is their decision to pull. Of course, if they didn't, they might not get submissions from that organization again. But, they are under no obligation to comply.

But I do understand their not wanting to publish a blatantly false paper.

Tina

See more popular forum discussions.