1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Virology Blog on XMRV in the Respiratory Tract

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by CBS, May 19, 2010.

1. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    I e-mailed Dr. Racaniello yesterday to see if he could provide some perspective on the importance of the recent German study finding XMRV in the respiratory tract. Specifically, I wanted to know about the concerns surrounding transmissibility.

He responded today by posting on his blog about the study. My read is that the HIV data he presents (in a linked table) would suggest that there are key questions (such as the level of the virus in the respiratory tract) that we simply do not have data to answer at present BUT the HIV data would suggest that detecting XMRV is, on its own, not sufficient to infer transmissibility via this route.

Here's the link to the VirologyBlog article: http://www.virology.ws/2010/05/19/xmrv-in-human-respiratory-tract/

My sincere thanks to Dr. Racaniello.
  2. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

and my sincere thanks to you Shane. Great idea! And how impressive that Dr Racaniello responded so quickly.

ETA (OT [hey - I'm starting to learn these acronyms] Have been meaning to say, I LOVE your ski metaphor.
  3. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

Very interesting what he wrote.
    However, I have to say that I want to understand the table he linked to, but can't.
    I know that although there is HIV-1 in saliva it is not infecting people, but how can I understand this from this table? If someone would be able to explain the table for me, I would appreciate it.
  4. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    Thanks Shane. Very interesting.

I'm curious about this quote:

I seem to remember that the reason they couldn't isolate "infectious XMRV" from the respiratory tract was due to the storage of the samples. It's curious to me how Dr. Racaniello worded this.

Not important: I clicked on the link to the German XMRV article at the end of his blog and got this message:

Whew! I found my way back!
  5. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

It's not accurate, because they said:
  6. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    I've followed Virology Blog for some time now and I've found Dr. Racaniello to be very eager to educate and clarify on issues such as this. I'd take a crack at responding but to be frank, I think posting the question on Virology Blog might be interesting. It has not been my impression that there are any agendas driving the content on that site.

Anyone care to take a crack at asking the question? omerbasket or gracenote?

See more popular forum discussions.