August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Virology blog: Can a virus be revived?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Firestormm, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    I found this interesting. Not 'news' as such but interesting I think:

Reminded me also of all the headlines used to create this 'buzz' around science in the general media, especially around 'discoveries'. I think it does science no good. Was reading recently, how many of the press feed on PR press releases that come not from scientists themselves (the ones doing the studies), but from PR firms who might - if say the story was associated with a new drug - ring a scientist for a quote out of the blue. All adds to the 'dumbing-down' of science in the mass media...

Legendrew and aimossy like this.
  2. philpot

philpot

UK
    Morals and honesty are often compromised when there is money to be made! You are so right about the dumbing down. :thumbsup:

Regards.

Firestormm likes this.
  3. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    It's like everything to do with science on the BBC etc. has to be a 'breakthrough' even when its really tentative stuff. They get people with serious health conditions all hopeful that something is coming that will make a difference to their lives - and off they fly to the doctors - only to be told that any treatment is unlikely to occur for an age.

And even Science - the magazine - I mean it's interesting and often fascinating stuff: but it's a PR vehicle for, well, for science. The whole world is about selling an image now: and I am afraid that applies to ME as well...

4. philpot

philpot

UK
    It's a difficult one really because there needs to be a balance between giving people hope and whilst at the same time not giving a false hope. Half the trouble is that the media's primary function is to sell media and not compassion and accuracy and the other half is that often these things are written by people who have a real lack of empathy.

Science is an area like most others where in reality people want to do a job they want to do but also because in society we need money etc., to live a good life, people often have conflicts of interest. 'Oh dear this project is nearly complete, where's my next funding coming from?' Media want a story to sell media and scientist wants new funding and so they become good bedfellows.

I do think however, the issue is more with society than it is with science and the media and this is because it is society which really sets out what is and what is not acceptable. Society however has been losing its moral compass and over decades has been drifting towards a disposable society and one of instant gratification.

I believe an ME cure will either come from the ME community or else it will not come, but what we have to do is try to remove all the red herrings and drill down to the data which matters and then go through a process of well considered and logical deduction.

We have to be careful here because when we have a complex illness then we have a lot going on and sometimes we may miss that one critical piece of information because it's lost in a whole lot of other data which is really just a distraction.

As for society, it's going to take a major negative event to make a difference, in my opinon.

Regards.

Firestormm likes this.
  5. Firestormm

Firestormm

Cornwall England
    Thanks @philpot I will come back to this once I have had some rest :)

See more popular forum discussions.