• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Viral symptoms back - is it due to vitamin D?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I've got the viral symptoms back that have dogged me from the start of this illness. Last serious one was 3 yrs ago which floored me (bedbound) for 3 weeks. Okay this one hasn't laid me out ( please god) but still feels bad.

Dizzyness on rising - stagger to the bathroom - walking a straight line is hard - woozyness in head all day - even on lying down - accompanying sickness and loss of appetite. Complete fatigue and inability to do anything.

4/5 weeks into vitamin D supplementation - is it that? I've always had a problem tolerating this supplement but a recent diagnosis of osteoporosis had made me stick to a weekly dose of 50000iu.

Even the dentist said I had lost bone so it must be serious, what to do???

I thought last week I was doing better - started thyroid meds about same time as vit D - a friend even said I was sounding a bit better........ and now back to this - I am gutted.

had to cancel dentist for teeth cleaning and amalgam removal - I can't progress......

any suggestions I would be so grateful for

Crux

Hi maryb;

I can't tolerate vitamin D either.

I've read a bit about zinc being involved with priming vitamin D receptors. Zinc also may help against osteoporosis.
Zinc has been shown to temporarily reduce cortisol.

Someone here mentioned that they were using a vitamin D lotion with good results. ( something to look up)
Someone else mentioned that people with hypothyroid may have trouble with vitamin D supps.

I take natural dessicated thyroid, (NDT). Apparently, it contains calcitonin, a substance that aids in bone formation.

I also have osteoporosis, so maybe there's a way to treat it without taking oral vitamin D. (?)

Best to You!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Crux
thanks for the info. I should take extra zinc I know, I can't tolerate many oral supplements though - minerals in particular, I'm just waiting for some transdermal ones to come in. Vit D transdermal sounds interesting too.
Have you had another bone scan since being on the NDT?

Crux

Hi maryb;

I haven't had a bone scan in 2 or so years. I started zinc about 1 1/2 years ago, and I restarted NDT about 2 1/2 months ago.

I admit that I'm scared to have another scan. ( fear of bad news) Also, I'm now one of the uninsured, ( husband's deadbeat boss didn't pay premiums...now he's an ex-boss.) I've been rejected from new companies because of my long list of conditions. ( sorry, whinging here)

Some of the causes of my osteoporosis have been : low or no estrogens, B12 deficiency, and my use of hydrocortisone for pit/adrenal insufficiency.

I understand that supplements can be upsetting to the gut. Zinc can do this too. I'm good with a food based, 15mg daily. It helps to take it in divided doses with food. Some people take it with a little B6, if it causes nausea.

High cortisol can waste potassium and zinc. Low potassium is also associated with osteoporosis. I see you are juicing now. That will add alot of potassium. :)

I just looked around and there are some transdermal Vitamin D products. I don't know which would be best.
( I'll look again for reviews.)

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Crux
thanks so much for that. I'll look at those when I feel a bit better. not going to take the vit d supplement again.

Sorry to hear about your health insurance... what a bugger.
I suppose all we can do is eat an the right things when we can, take what we know can help and then no point in worrying.

My cortisol was high x 4 so maybe I've been using up all my pot and zinc?
I was only juicing for 6 days - this virus has put a stop to that. not up to doing it at present.

Crux

I really hope a quick recovery for you, how about a full recovery! Calling Mary Poppins!

Really? Vitamin D causes issues? Just asking because I've been put on that along with thyroxine for my hypothyroid, and I've felt even worse than before (flu-like sore throat non-stop, nauseous every day, suddenly have a painful, stiff neck which is a new issue). On top of all the muscle aches, usual headaches, and occasional (one a week or so) migraines. And the other stuff, all of which I was hoping would vanish with thyroxine. Nothing seems to be changing, just getting worse.