• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Viral panel results - which a/virals

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Results of my recent blood tests.

Viral panel
Result Range

IgG HSV 1+2 235.90 <16.0
IgM " " 2.00 <0.9

IgG CMV 1.33 <0.9
IgM CMV 0.12 "

IgG Rubeola/Measles 1.02 <0.9

IgG EBV VCA 2.08 <0.9
IgM " " 0.00 <0.9

Thyroid Panel

TSH 2.50 0.27 - 4.2
Free Thyroxine 13.1 12 - 22
Free T3 3.3 3.1 - 6.8

Not the results I was expecting - had a really bad 12months - is it true that even when the viruses are not showing too high in the blood (I know that IgG means recent exposure) they are still creating havoc?
I have felt so bad and now feel nowhere nearer to knowing after these results. HSV surely can't contribute that much? And where has the measles come from?
Where would people go with this? and if a/virals which one?

IgG HSV 1+2 235.90 <16.0
IgM " " 2.00 <0.9
The elevated IgM indicates active HSV-1 and/or HSV-2 infection.
IgG CMV 1.33 <0.9
IgM CMV 0.12 "
This should indicate past, inactive infection.
IgG Rubeola/Measles 1.02 <0.9
Past infection (or immunization). Might or might not be a current infection - would need IgM to see.
IgG EBV VCA 2.08 <0.9
IgM " " 0.00 <0.9
Past infection, inactive.

So I think your "only" active infection(s) shown is the HSV-1/HSV-2.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
So I got it the wrong way round with the IgM and IgG?
What the hell is going on then? What is causing me to feel so bad - seriously fed up.

What the hell is going on then? What is causing me to feel so bad - seriously fed up.
Well the HSV is still positive for ongoing infection ... so you have a virus or two which is probably draining you somewhat, plus an immune reaction to that virus, which can be even worse. I think that's plenty of reason to feel very crappy, especially on top of whatever else we have going on as ME patients.

SOC

I think you've got it right -- elevated IgM suggests acute infection, extremely elevated IgG may indicate a chronic infection.

Severe HSV infection can make you feel crappy, just like any other active herpesvirus infection. Valtrex would be the antiviral for that, I believe. However, your doctor probably won't prescribe it without a documented immune dysfunction. Patients with genital herpes (a form of HSV) often get Valtrex long-term so that they don't transmit the illness to others. Patients with other forms aren't usually provided with meds, although maybe your titre is high enough to concern the doc...?

As for the measles... could it be Roseola/baby measles? That would be HHV-6, another herpesvirus commonly found in PWME. Your IgG is not high enough to suggest an active infection fortunately. :)

maryb

iherb code TAK122
SOC _ Yes I'm glad I don't have the HHV-6 as well. I tried Valtrex some time ago - felt really rubbish on it. I have been thinking about trying acyclovir or Famvir after having this blasted colonoscopy tomorrow.
I might wait and see what the doctors views are - if anything!!!!

Ema

Results of my recent blood tests.

Thyroid Panel

TSH 2.50 0.27 - 4.2
Free Thyroxine 13.1 12 - 22
Free T3 3.3 3.1 - 6.8

The thyroid results, specifically the low FT4 and FT3, indicate some degree of hypothyroidism in my non-medical opinion.

FT4 should generally be about midrange and most people feel best with their FT3 in the top third of the range. Both of yours are at the bottom.

Most healthy people also have a TSH between 1-2. You'd have a hard time being diagnosed as hypothyroid by all but the most enlightened doctors with a TSH of 2.5 though. But if you have symptoms of hypothyroidism (low body temp, fatigue, puffiness, difficulty with weight, etc etc), I would consider pursuing this diagnosis on the basis of your low frees and symptoms.

I also agree with SOC about your viral results.

There are further tests for EBV available as well that can help distinguish between a chronic or past infection.

Ema

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks Ema - I appreciate hearing your opinion - I've thought for some time that some of my symptoms may be thyroid related but my own GP even with a TSH of 4 in tests from last Sept said they were fine.
It is the UK after all.
I have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism you mention above.
I had these tests done privately so will pursue them with this private doc.

Ema

Thanks Ema - I appreciate hearing your opinion - I've thought for some time that some of my symptoms may be thyroid related but my own GP even with a TSH of 4 in tests from last Sept said they were fine.
It is the UK after all.
I have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism you mention above.
I had these tests done privately so will pursue them with this private doc.
Well, that clears that up...I was scratching my head over the different TSH results posted in the other thread.

I would keep at it because a TSH of 4 is definitely indicative of hypothyroidism in my opinion.

TSH can (and will) tank if you get sick enough. That's another reason it doesn't work well for those of us with chronic illness. I know this because my TSH was 0.885 when my free thyroid hormone levels were also in the gutter. I actually had one doctor try to diagnose me as HYPERthyroid because they didn't know their TSH from their you-know-what.

Ema

maryb

iherb code TAK122
:D Me and my tests Ema - I confuse myself sometimes. After seeing my UK GP last year with lower leg puffiness and other symptoms, all were dismissed after those tests - you're absolutely fine she said!! It beggars belief.
So I've paid to have these done - I will have to push for some sort of thyroid treatment though because they are all within range aren't they, although low.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
as for cmv, igm testing is inaccurate for acute and chronic infections from what i have read, many docs go by igg results and maybe other immune tests like lymphocytes if high and marry it up with symptoms. But have 3 herpes viruses that look like there causing you problems then i would start with the famvir. The dosages used seem to vary alot between people on here from 250mg a day which i found useful to 1-2 grams 4 times a day. but i think its always good to start low. I think a good middle ground dosage seems to be 500mg twice a day.

Personally i would leave the thyroid alone until u have given antivirals a good go and got some improvement and then recheck thyroid as it could have improved after treating those infections.

Tristen

as for cmv, igm testing is inaccurate for acute and chronic infections from what i have read, many docs go by igg results and maybe other immune tests like lymphocytes if high and marry it up with symptoms. But have 3 herpes viruses that look like there causing you problems then i would start with the famvir. The dosages used seem to vary alot between people on here from 250mg a day which i found useful to 1-2 grams 4 times a day. but i think its always good to start low. I think a good middle ground dosage seems to be 500mg twice a day.

Personally i would leave the thyroid alone until u have given antivirals a good go and got some improvement and then recheck thyroid as it could have improved after treating those infections.

That was true for me.

Also, with Thyroid function tests, my doc always does the RT3 as well. My RT3 was found to be very high, which would have been blocking the T3 function. Treatment with T3 brought the RT3 back down which was helpful as well. We had a discussion about this sometime back.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Tristen - I asked for the full thyroid blood test thinking the RT3 would be included - its my own fault for not checking though. Interesting though - 'some time back' - now thats a challenge!!!
Thanks heaps - famvir has been on my radar for a while just wanted to get some more tests done first, I'll see what the doc says - what's the betting its no?!!

heapsreal

That was true for me.

Also, with Thyroid function tests, my doc always does the RT3 as well. My RT3 was found to be very high, which would have been blocking the T3 function. Treatment with T3 brought the RT3 back down which was helpful as well. We had a discussion about this sometime back.

Adrenal fatigue/dysfunction can play a big part in high reverse t3, so possibly dhea, pregenenolone or hdrocortisone could help this?? A common cause of adrenal dysfunction in us is chronic infections so it can be a viscious circle.

Tristen

Tristen - I asked for the full thyroid blood test thinking the RT3 would be included - its my own fault for not checking though. Interesting though - 'some time back' - now thats a challenge!!!
Thanks heaps - famvir has been on my radar for a while just wanted to get some more tests done first, I'll see what the doc says - what's the betting its no?!!

Yea, the RT3 is not part of the Thyroid panels I'm used to seeing.

Oh, the "sometime back" was referring to a brief discussion that Heaps and I were having in some thread over a year ago (I think). It was probably off topic for the thread, and therefore hard to track down. Not sure how well the search works here for stuff like that. I don't recall the discussion being about much more than what ya see here anyhow. Maybe Heaps can help on that.

Tristen

Adrenal fatigue/dysfunction can play a big part in high reverse t3, so possibly dhea, pregenenolone or hdrocortisone could help this?? A common cause of adrenal dysfunction in us is chronic infections so it can be a viscious circle.

I agree that it may help....or a better word may be "supportive". I have a lot of trouble taking anything that "pushes" my system to function better....cortisol tops that list, even at small doses. I always test sub-clinical (slightly low, or low end of normal) on several of the endocrine hormones. Maybe getting a small dose balance of hormone supplementation is key.

heapsreal

I agree that it may help....or a better word may be "supportive". I have a lot of trouble taking anything that "pushes" my system to function better....cortisol tops that list, even at small doses. I always test sub-clinical (slightly low, or low end of normal) on several of the endocrine hormones. Maybe getting a small dose balance of hormone supplementation is key.

This hasnt worked for everyone but i found that taking low doses of dhea first like 5mg and slowly increasing it seemed to be beneficial. then once at a dose that has no negative side effects and has one in the middle to high range, then slowly working on increasing cortisol through pregnenolone or HC or glandular supp.

My theory is that dhea helps counteract any negative effects of increasing cortisol. I had a bumpy ride doing this going up and down in doses due to being overly hyped up at times, which i think is due to a thyroid dump as adrenals help get excess thyroid floating around to start working again. Slowly i was able to handle more and more. did i say slowly??

SOme people just cant seem to tolerate any type of treatment for adrenals, maybe they would need to work more on infections/immune system further before being able to tolerate this. Which i think was the case for me??

Tristen

This hasnt worked for everyone but i found that taking low doses of dhea first like 5mg and slowly increasing it seemed to be beneficial. then once at a dose that has no negative side effects and has one in the middle to high range, then slowly working on increasing cortisol through pregnenolone or HC or glandular supp.

My theory is that dhea helps counteract any negative effects of increasing cortisol. I had a bumpy ride doing this going up and down in doses due to being overly hyped up at times, which i think is due to a thyroid dump as adrenals help get excess thyroid floating around to start working again. Slowly i was able to handle more and more. did i say slowly??

SOme people just cant seem to tolerate any type of treatment for adrenals, maybe they would need to work more on infections/immune system further before being able to tolerate this. Which i think was the case for me??

I think those are some good insights, building the dhea up first makes sense...and yea, you said slowly, lol.

And it may be true that for those intolerant of adrenal tx, need to first focus on infections. Fits my experience too.

My primary doc recently did a fairly large workup of labs (~16 vials of blood) on me, looking mostly at predisposition for biotoxin illness, but also all much of the endocrine pathways including some pitutitary on down through thyroid and adrenal. Included all the dhea, pregnenalone, etc. Those results are pending. Kinda hoping there is something to the biotoxin illness for me because that's easy to tx and would theoretically clear the way to better tolerate the other txs.