• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Viral load and T-helper-1-cell cytokines in myalgic encephalomyelitis

Bob

Viral load and T-helper-1-cell cytokines in myalgic encephalomyelitis.
Irina Malashenkova, Sergey Krynskiy, Daniil Ogurtsov, Nikita Hailov, Galina Kazanova, Olga Gurskaya, Maria Jarova, Igor Zuikov, Elvira Domonova, O.yu Silveystrova, Nikolay Didkovskiy
Journal of Neuroimmunology
Volume 275, Issues 1-2, Pages 78–79.
October 15, 2014
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jneuroim.2014.08.208
http://www.jni-journal.com/article/S0165-5728(14)00441-X/abstract

Abstract
Objectives: Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) is a polymorphic clinical entity. In some patients, chronic infection with Epstein–Barr virus (EBV), human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6), and human herpesvirus 7 (HHV-7) is regarded as an important pathogenetic factor that contributes to chronic neuroinflammation. We determined a relationship between EBV, HHV-6 and HHV-7 viral load in the saliva and serum levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines (IFNalpha, IFNgamma, IL-1, IL-2) in a group of ME patients.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
I haven't seen published research from Russia on ME in some time... It seems to be a conference abstract:

Objectives: Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) is a polymorphic clinical entity. In some patients, chronic infection with Epstein–Barr virus (EBV), human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6), and human herpesvirus 7 (HHV-7) is regarded as an important pathogenetic factor that contributes to chronic neuroinflammation. We determined a relationship between EBV, HHV-6 and HHV-7 viral load in the saliva and serum levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines (IFNalpha, IFNgamma, IL-1, IL-2) in a group of ME patients.

Materials: 32 ME patients (11 female, mean age 32 ± 5) were enrolled into the study. The patients were divided into groups based on viral load and on viruses detected. 30 volunteers (12 female, mean age 32.3 ± 4.7) were enrolled as controls. Real-time quantitative PCR was used to assess the viral load, and ELISA was used to assess serum cytokine levels. Mann–Whitney U-test was used for statistical analysis.

Results: Mean cytokine levels were higher in ME patients than in controls. To study the impact of EBV on cytokine levels, EBV-positive ME patients (n = 19) were divided into group 1 (EBV < 4 lg copies/ml) and group 2 (EBV > 4 lg copies/ml). Mean IFNgamma level differed significantly (p < 0.01) between groups (121.26 ± 41.76 pg/ml and 13.15 ± 5.76 pg/ml), and mean IL-2 level differed (p = 0.05) between groups (33.3 ± 15.66 pg/ml and 17 ± 16.8 pg/ml). Also, in group 2 EBV load correlated well with IFNgamma (r = − 0.5, p < 0.05) and with IL-2 levels (r = − 0.56, p < 0.025). Mean IFNgamma and IL-2 levels were lower in patients with EBV/HHV-6 coinfection then in patients with EBV and without HHV-6, but the difference was not significant. To study the role of HHV-7 in ME, we determined HHV-7 load in 22 random patients from ME group. In these patients, HHV-7 load > 6 lg copies/ml was a good marker for EBV load > 4 lg copies/ml (sensitivity 70%, specificity 100%), and HHV-7 load correlated well with EBV load (r = 0.8524, p < 0.001). 2 groups were formed based on HHV-7 load: group 1b (HHV-7 < 6 lg c/ml), and group 2b (HHV-7 > 6 lg c/ml). Mean EBV load differed significantly (p < 0.05) between groups (3.3 ± 0.6 lg copies/ml and 5.49 ± 0.76 lg copies/ml).

Conclusions: ME patients differ in Th1-cell cytokine levels (IFNgamma and IL-2) depending on EBV viral load in the saliva. This result supports the suppressive impact of EBV on IFNgamma secretion described in vitro. HHV-7 viral load has predictive value for EBV viral load in ME patients. We are planning to assess cytokines in saliva as well as in blood serum of ME patients.