• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VIPDx Serology (Antibody) Test Results Yet?

Stone

It's been 8 weeks now since VIPDx has made available the serology test for antibodies to XMRV and the other human murine leukemia-type retroviruses under investigation. They said it would take 6 to 8 weeks for the results.

Has anyone received any serology test results from VIPDx yet?

As for me, I ordered the serology test only, but the kit I had contained all the tubes necessary for both the serology and culture tests and the phlebotomist filled all the tubes (as directed in the instructions) and they were sent to VIPDx. When they received my specimens, VIPDx mistakenly thought I ordered both tests (although the requisition was only marked for the serology test) and they ran the culture. They then mistakenly reported the culture result as a serology result on the report. Having worked in a lab doing this very kind of clerical work, I can easily see how this can and does happen sometimes, especially when they're swamped.

Thinking this was the serology result, and knowing the other tubes required for the culture had been sent, I called them to ask if those specimens were still viable for culture. I was told that I had already had the culture and that NO serology results had been reported to date. This was on October 5th. I explained that their report which I was holding in my hand said it was the serology test result that they had indeed reported. They said that this was a data entry error and they would send my doctor a corrected report reflecting that these results were from the culture and not the serology and I would not be charged for the culture. They said my serology test was still pending. They said it takes 6 to 8 weeks. It is now week 7 and I sent in my specimens about a week after they began offering the serology test. I'm wondering if VIPDx has begun reporting any serology results yet for those who sent in their specimens earlier.

I'm wondering why the serology takes so much longer since in theory, it's a faster test to run since they don't have to wait for it to grow out in culture. I'm sure there's something important that I'm missing here.

Jemal

Maybe they are not equipped for the amount of tests requested?
I know Red Labs in Belgium has been swamped as well. Red Labs is also sending the serology tests to the US, maybe adding to the chaos? :)

In theory it should be a fast test. But if they get thousands of requests, there will now be a queque.

ukxmrv

Stone, I also asked a week ago what was happening. This was behalf of a friend. VIP dx said that all the Serology tests were going through an initial "double check" at the lab before the results go out. As they are running these tests for the first time (as a commerical thing) they want to do this extra level of testing first. The same thing happened earlier on with some of their first "other tests" so I am happy with that.

Lynn

It is 8 weeks since I sent my blood in for the serology test so I called today. I was told that my sample is in quality review this week and as long as it passes that the results will be faxed to my Doctor on Friday. If it doesn't pass the review, they will have to start the process again.

Lynn

Jemal

I am glad the delay is caused by quality controls and not because of the massive amounts of tests required.

Stone

I hope the quality review is thorough and accurate. This is all so new, and to have a test that is extremely accurate this early in the game is really wonderful. I hope the test turns out to be very accurate indeed. I would hate to have a false negative. Best of luck to you all
Stone

Stone

Another week has passed. Am I correct in assuming that no one has gotten their serology results from VIPDx so far? I have emailed them twice asking if they have begin reporting any serology results but they have not responded. They usually respond very promptly. I am in no rush if waiting means getting things done right, but I do not want to inquire at my doctor's office when I don't even know if the lab is reporting results at all yet. It makes me wonder if there might be some sort of snag with the test that the lab needs time to straighten out. It's my feeling that they're privy to information (new research findings) before we, the general public, are. In my mind, this is seems to be confirmed by the fact that VIPDx delayed offering the serology test when the Lo/Alter paper was delayed, and began offering the test as soon as the paper was published and the test amazingly included checking for antibodies to the viruses in the Lo/Alter paper. And now it is starting to become apparent that the results of this test may be delayed, particularly since I have not received an answer to my inquiry, which is most uncharacteristic of them. Has anyone else made inquiry as to the status of the serology (antibody) assay at VIPDx? Is anyone else wondering?

The whole thing makes me nervous about the XMRV (and friends) issue in general and the status of the science. Papers aren't getting published, no flood of hoped for government monies is forthcoming for research, no recommendations concerning XMRV are made by the CFSAC, antibody test results are delayed and the lab isn't talking. Doesn't this delay in reporting results make anyone else even just a little curious?

MargeM

MargeM
And now it is starting to become apparent that the results of this test may be delayed, particularly since I have not received an answer to my inquiry, which is most uncharacteristic of them. Has anyone else made inquiry as to the status of the serology (antibody) assay at VIPDx? Is anyone else wondering?

The whole thing makes me nervous about the XMRV (and friends) issue in general and the status of the science. Papers aren't getting published, no flood of hoped for government monies is forthcoming for research, no recommendations concerning XMRV are made by the CFSAC, antibody test results are delayed and the lab isn't talking. Doesn't this delay in reporting results make anyone else even just a little curious?

I agree Stone. I haven't bothered the lab to check on my results, but I haven't heard anything and it's been six weeks. When you're anxious for answers, it seems longer.

Stone

Yes, it's 8 weeks for me now. Like I said, I don't mind the wait if it means the difference between an accurate result and a false result, after all, I've gone 15 years waiting for a test to wait for, LOL. That said, I'm not sure I like the looks of this. I hope it's nothing and my concerns turn out to be baseless. I just find it difficult to believe that I'm the only one that finds this a little disturbing on some level.

Stone

Hmmm. Just received reply from lab

:scared: Ok um I just now received a reply from VIPDx regarding my inquiry (X2) as to whether they've begun reporting serology results and if not when they forsee that happening. It reads as follows: "The serology results are not yet completed. I do not know the ETA."

Okay, so does this qualify as one of those 'things that make ya go hmmmm'? :worried:

Lynn

I also don't want to call my Doctor until I know they have faxed the results. It's been 9 weeks since I sent in my sample. I just called VIPdx. They told me to check back Friday. The receptionist says it's just because they have received so many samples.

I guess we will just have to wait patiently.

Lynn

C

Cloud

It's been 8 weeks now since VIPDx has made available the serology test for antibodies to XMRV and the other human murine leukemia-type retroviruses under investigation. They said it would take 6 to 8 weeks for the results.

Has anyone received any serology test results from VIPDx yet?

As for me, I ordered the serology test only, but the kit I had contained all the tubes necessary for both the serology and culture tests and the phlebotomist filled all the tubes (as directed in the instructions) and they were sent to VIPDx. When they received my specimens, VIPDx mistakenly thought I ordered both tests (although the requisition was only marked for the serology test) and they ran the culture. They then mistakenly reported the culture result as a serology result on the report. Having worked in a lab doing this very kind of clerical work, I can easily see how this can and does happen sometimes, especially when they're swamped.

Thinking this was the serology result, and knowing the other tubes required for the culture had been sent, I called them to ask if those specimens were still viable for culture. I was told that I had already had the culture and that NO serology results had been reported to date. This was on October 5th. I explained that their report which I was holding in my hand said it was the serology test result that they had indeed reported. They said that this was a data entry error and they would send my doctor a corrected report reflecting that these results were from the culture and not the serology and I would not be charged for the culture. They said my serology test was still pending. They said it takes 6 to 8 weeks. It is now week 7 and I sent in my specimens about a week after they began offering the serology test. I'm wondering if VIPDx has begun reporting any serology results yet for those who sent in their specimens earlier.

I'm wondering why the serology takes so much longer since in theory, it's a faster test to run since they don't have to wait for it to grow out in culture. I'm sure there's something important that I'm missing here.

Maybe that explains why so many people have reported Serology results (poll) when none have gone out yet.

Being bombarded with samples would explain delay for some of those submitted later but not for us who got their specimen in on day 1 or 2, or even the first week.

I guess the only issue for me is timing my return follow-up with doc to include these results being available. Glad I went anyhow 2 weeks ago since the delay continues. I've dealt with confusing feedback since I first did the Serology draw back in May. Bottom line, I'm grateful to be on the front lines getting this lab work done.

MargeM

MargeM
It's certainly been an emotional rollercoaster ride for us, hasn't it? I'm thinking hmmmm.... and at the same time trying NOT to overthink this. Wish I was a fly on the wall over there at VIP. Thanks Lynn for letting us know they're still just swamped. That helps!

ukxmrv

I'd not be worried Stone (but I appreciate how hard and gruelling the wait is). Before with other stages of the process and they changed tests we had delays. My main contact at VIP dx has been away and I think that has held things up.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I'm pretty sure there was a comment a 2 - 3 weeks ago, by Dr. Mikovits, about VIP Dx either had or was in the process of updating the test (not sure if it was serology, antibody or both) in its sensitivity to XMRV and to pick up the mLV's or PMRV's(?) better. I'm geussing this was in reference to having identified more bands(?) of these viruses. This may also have something to do with the turnaround time, but it seems to me that would be a good thing.

I haven't ordered a test yet, but I was curious as to what most of you were hoping (maybe not the best word) that the reults are (+ or -)?

Hi everybody,

I too await my results and I must say you are being way to kind. An email update to all that submitted samples should be a minimum, furthermore, if most business's operated like VIPdx they would dead in the water. Remember, this is a "for profit" service industry business, not a charitable foundation. I believe the last statement to be true, if not, my apologies.

Regards,
Roger

Stone

Well August, I for one am 'hoping' for a positive. I am not however hoping I have a retrovirus. What I mean is that I already know I'm very sick as are both of my sisters and my daughter as well and I wish we were not sick. I dearly wish to finally have an appropriate name for what ails me that doesn't sound like I'm just tired and/or a little depressed and to FINALLY BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY at the doctor's office (for openers). I dearly wish for a weapon to hit at this disease since it's been taking shots at me and my loved ones at will with utter impunity and it's high time for the the tables turn. So yes, I hope it's positive so I can hit it back at some point in the future (if I live long enough), but what I wish more than anything is that my loved ones and I had never heard of ME/CFS, Fibromyalgia, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, XMRV or any of this and that we were healthy.

About the waiting game for our results, I'm ever so grateful just to have a test, to have the good fortune to live in a location in which the test is available to me and to have the funds to pay for it. I have longed for this luxury for a decade and a half. VIPDx is a medical laboratory and as such, their first priority is accuracy and that comes before customer service. Their real customers are the physicians that order the tests. The physicians, as customers, would by far prefer accuracy, integrity and reliability of the results they receive from a medical laboratory. If the physician can't trust the results, what good is it to order the test in the first place and what product then, does the laboratory have to sell? VIPDx has it's priorities precisely where a medical laboratory should have them. ( I was a physician's nurse for many years and then I worked in a medical laboratory for many more years. I am familiar with this topic.) VIPDx is actually unusually patient-oriented in that they will even talk to and correspond with patients about their tests at all. Most medical laboratories won't do that to any great extent if they do it at all unless of course they're trying to collect money from you. Even though it is a for-profit business, we patients are not considered their clients (technically speaking), the physicians are, and the patients are (again technically) the physician's clients in spite of the fact that the patients pay for the tests. It's the same with X-rays and other diagnostic testing providers.

I would be willing to bet patients make up 99% of their customer base, an blanket email would not be to much trouble, and personally, I'm tired of humbling myself to the medical community, they really are there to provide a for fee service, nothing more.

C

Cloud

I've interacted with many labs over the years as a patient and professionally, and VIP is far and away the most patient friendly lab I've ever known. I see them as really caring about us pwc's.....I see no other reason they would be so accommodating.....because they surely don't have to be.

I've been at this for 16 years with very little in the way of lab tests or treatments that offer much hope....until now. Maybe that's why I feel accepting of delays, and grateful to be on the front lines with the best lab. They are doing their best to make it all work. It doesn't matter to me if their non profit, or not....they have always been good to me and go out of their way to accommodate my needs.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've interacted with many labs over the years as a patient and professionally, and VIP is far and away the most patient friendly lab I've ever known. I see them as really caring about us pwc's.....I see no other reason they would be so accommodating.....because they surely don't have to be.

I've been at this for 16 years with very little in the way of lab tests or treatments that offer much hope....until now. Maybe that's why I feel accepting of delays, and grateful to be on the front lines with the best lab. They are doing their best to get the bugs out. It doesn't matter to me if their non profit, or not....they have always been good to me and go out of their way to accommodate my needs.

I second this Cloud--I mean they actually take the trouble to answer their phones and respond to emails! They have always been helpful to me when I have emailed or called.

I am also waiting for Serology, though thankfully, I do have a positive for culture, so I am not sitting on the edge of my seat (bed? :In bed:) as much as those who don't have a + by culture. I'd rather wait till they get the results as "quality-controlled" as possible at this stage of the game, than get a false negative cause the test still needs tweaking.

That said, hugs to all those who have no positive results yet!

Sushi