1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

VIP Dx/WPI Combined PCR/Culture Poll for ACTIVE and LATENT Infections

Discussion in 'XMRV Testing, Treatment and Transmission' started by Cort, Dec 2, 2009.

?

I Have Taken Both the PCR/Culture Tests From VIP Dx Labs; My Results Were....

1. I have severe ME/CFS: I tested positive to both the PCR and the Culture tests

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. I have moderate to severe ME/CFS: I tested positive to both the PCR and the Culture tests

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. I have mild to moderate ME/CFS: I tested positive to both the PCR and the Culture teststhis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I have severe ME/CFS: I tested positive to the Culture test only

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. I have moderate to severe ME/CFS: I tested positive to the Culture test only

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  6. I have mild to moderate ME/CFS: I tested positive to the Culture test only

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  7. I have severe ME/CFS: I tested negative to both the PCR and the Culture tests

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. I have moderate to severe ME/CFS: I tested negative to both the PCR and the Culture tests

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  9. I have mild to moderate ME/CFS: I tested negative to both the PCR and the Culture tests

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. LJS

LJS Insert Witty Comment Here

East Coast, USA
    What I find the most interesting of this poll is the percentage results. Right now there is 25 positives and 15 negatives, that means 63% of CFS patients who reported results in the poll tested positive for XMRV by at least one test, which is similar to the WPI Science paper. Over in the culture only poll thread the results are almost exactly 50% positive 50% negative, which raises a lot of questions for me because WPI claims the culture test is the gold standard test.

2. helen41

helen41 Senior Member

Sleepy Hollow Canada
    Oh, I didn't want to read that, 3CFIDS. Mine went in mid Nov, and they charged me Dec 30. I was hoping that meant my results were imminent. I thought 8 weeks was long- 14 is TOO long!

3. 3CFIDS@ourhouse

3CFIDS@ourhouse still me

Southeast US
    Helen, I'm sorry about that! I did receive my serology results already, but am still waiting for the culture. My husband and daughter are waiting for serology, but theirs were not sent in until December 1. Maybe they have a batch of results ready to go out next week ;).

4. 3CFIDS@ourhouse

3CFIDS@ourhouse still me

Southeast US
    I couldn't vote again on the poll, but for the record, my husband's culture test came back positive last week. His serology was negative. My results were just the opposite- positive by serology, negative by culture. And our daughter was negative on both. So, I feel like the waters are just about as muddy as they were before. Is she a false negative, are we false positives? We're all sick, but my husband functions at a higher level than either our daughter or me. Along with a lot of other people, I will be very glad when the testing controversy is resolved. What are some of the other tests (NK, elastase, cytokine???) that would show evidence of retroviral infection? I know I've seen some mentioned, but would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

5. BEG

BEG Senior Member

Southeast US
    Yeah! My pcr and serology tests came back negative from VIpdx. Thank goodness I don't have a retrovirus, yet I could be a poster child for the Canadian Criteria. What is it I have? And why?

6. TinyT

TinyT Senior Member

Australia
    Me too Brown-eyed girl. Both pcr and serology tests were negative. Voted already on the serology poll though, oops. I am glad that I dont have a retrovirus, dont have to worry about transferring it to my fiance or my future child. I am a poster child for the CCC too. What do I have? Is it just POTS and connective tissue disorder or ME/CFS also?

Could we be so unwell to get false negatives? Do they need to be testing via other methods? tissue samples?

See more popular forum discussions.