• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

***VIP DX ANNOUNCEMENT*** Serology test is now available!!

Rita

Lillestrom Helseklinikk is going to send XMRV VIRUS SAMPLES TO USA
Monday, 30.08.2010

For our Norwegian patients:

Lillestrom Helseklinikk, Lillstrom,

XMRV VIRUS SAMPLES TO USA
Monday, 30.08.

We send for the first time XMRV viral serology for VIPdx in Reno. The test costs is 2990 NOK and includes all expenses . For those who are interested , please contact :Tel : 1963 1981 1985 1900 ( 0900-1130 and 1300-1500 )
Fax: 63 81 85 02

Source: http://www.lillestromhelseklinikk.no/nyheter.php

shannah

Oh Brother!

I can't remember what thread I was supposed to post this reply to but since it has to do with testing at VIP, I'll post it here and probably come across the other thread eventually. My apologies beforehand to anyone waiting to hear this reply.

Question to VIP:

Will the results of the test be broken down into which particular MLV/s is/are identified auch as XMRV, CFS 1, CFS 11, etc or will it only list the outcome as a positive or negative for any MLV? How will we know how many of the known MLV's that we harbour?

Answer from VIP:

There will be only one qualitative result – either “positive” or “none detected” since the significance of the different sequences is not yet known. Most likely treatment (anti-retroviral or other types) will be the same for any of the variations. Research is on-going. Please discuss with your physician before you proceed with testing and/or treatment.

VillageLife

gosh thats interesting they wont tell you how many viruses you have.
also interesting they wont tell you which one.
im in a study and i guess it will probably be the same then, just be told positive or negative.

shannah

Additional information VIP sent that may be helpful. (I don't see this listed on their site but perhaps there is a hidden button I have yet to discover.)

Questions and Answers regarding XMRV testing

The XMRV PCR/culture test and the XMRV serology test offered by VIP Dx use methods that will detect all known human MLV viruses

Q: Why is VIP Dx testing for XMRV different from other commercial tests presently being offered?

A: XMRV testing at VIP Dx uses the same methods which were published in the Lombardi et al. October 2009 issue of Science. Our methods require the collection and appropriate testing of 20 mL of whole blood. While this process is very time consuming and labor intensive, we have found that it dramatically reduces the rate of false negative results. For this reason, the cost of testing and the time to report results for XMRV by PCR/culture is greater than that of a standard PCR test.

Q: How long does it take to get my XMRV culture results?

A: In order to complete the full testing process and issue an approved results report takes approximately 5 to 6 weeks for PCR/culture tests. This period of time is required to grow the cells for virus culture analysis. Due to the large volume of test requests received, we currently have a longer time to process the approved results.

Q: Does a negative result definitively mean that I am not infected?

A: Although we strive to offer the most sensitive test available, XMRV can be present at a very low copy number and may be below the limit of detection at the time your sample was tested. Re-testing is a decision for you and your physician or health care professional to discuss and determine the best course of action. We do not recommend re-testing by PCR/culture for 3 to 6 months. You can test by serology in conjunction with PCR/Culture.

Q: Is it possible to have a positive result at one point in and a negative result at a later time?

A: Although retroviruses are integrated into the cellular DNA and are considered life-long infections, it is possible that your immune system may hold the virus to a level below the limit of detection from time to time. Presently, the life- cycle of the virus is unknown. If you receive a positive result at any time it is unnecessary to do retesting until more is known about XMRV.

Q: What is the turn-around time for the XMRV serology (antibody screen) test?

A: Typical turn-around time is 2 to 3 weeks.

Q: Should I stop taking antiviral medications prior to testing?

A: Medications can reduce the viral load to such a low copy that it cannot be detected by PCR/culture. The serology test is less sensitive to antiviral medications. CONSULT with your physician regarding your current medications and/or treatments and when you should proceed with your testing.

Q. Will the serology test replace the culture test?

Each test method will be offered as an individual test. Both tests can be ordered at a discounted price. Please refer to information in Q&A below.
Q. How will serology results be reported?

A. Results will be reported as either positive or non-detected (same as the PCR/culture). A positive result indicates that you have antibodies to the XMRV virus.

Q. How do I get a test kit for either or both types of testing?

A. Kits may be requested at info@vipdx.com or by calling Client Relations at 775.-351-1890. You will need to complete a kit order form either by answering questions over the phone or downloading the form off the website and sending it to us by fax or postal service. There is a $65.00 kit deposit fee. Kit fees are not reimbursable by Medicare. Please see payment information below.

Q. What other tests does VIP Dx offer that compliment the XMRV testing?

A. VIP Dx offers various clinical tests for neuro-immune testing. Please refer to our test menu and test requisition for more information.

Q. Who gets my results? Can I have a copy of my results?

A. Results are faxed to the ordering physician/clinician. A patient can receive a copy of their results after they sign a release. A request for Authorization for Release of Results can be obtained by calling Client Relations after you send in your sample. Each request may take up to two weeks to process after results are reported to your physician. Patients can also request a copy of their results from their own physician.

Q. What if my doctor does not understand the results?

A. We will be happy to set up a conference call appointment with our consulting scientist and your physician. Have your physician call our office to schedule a scientific conference appointment.

Q. What is the difference between the two types of XMRV tests?

A. Serology detects antibodies to XMRV indicating previous immune response. PCR/Culture detects actual viral nucleic acid present in whole blood regardless of immune response.

Q. How much does each test cost? What is the price for both tests?

A. The PCR /culture test is individually available for $450.

The serology test is individually available for $249.

You can order both types of XMRV testing at a discounted price of $549.

Q. Is one test method recommended over another?

A. Certain immune dysfunctions may cause your immune system not to develop an antibody response to XMRV. It is also possible to test negative by PCR/culture if the virus is at such a low copy that it cannot be detected.

Therefore, it is recommended to have both the PCR/culture and the serology tests.

Retroviruses like XMRV are considered life-long infections. Future advances in technology and medicine may improve the quality of life for those infected with XMRV. There is still much to learn about this retrovirus and possible treatments. Research is on-going.

ADVICE to PATIENTS receiving a copy of their results: Do not take any action or begin any treatment without first discussing your clinical laboratory results with your physician. Medical expertise is required for interpretation of laboratory results.

VIP Dx is committed to excellence in quality, service and accuracy and no result will be reported before it has passed our quality assurance guidelines.

Client Service Hours: 9:00 a.m. 4:30 p.m. PST

Marguerite Ross, Director

Marketing & Client Relations

VIP Dx / RedLabs

5625 Fox Ave - Rm 369

Reno, NV 89506

775-351-1890

Fax: 775-682-8517

www.vipdx.com

Thanks for posting the FAQ. That's a fairly quick turnaround time for serology - culture that's kind of long, but understandable. And cool that they will speak with doctors on the phone to educate them! And I like that they'll send us our results directly (after we send a signed form).

Sucks that they won't say which strains, but maybe they will store the results and when research has more info about the differences they could tell us if we have that strain or not.

Stone

The serology test may not actually detect which strains a person has since it's not looking at the retrovirus(es), it's looking for antibodies that our bodies make against them. The test may not be so specific that it detects exactly which "murine or murine-related" retrovirus is causing us to put out the antibodies.

True.

I want to make sure I'm not inadvertently taking a "natural ARV" in the month before getting tested, and suggest the same to others.

Daffodil

they seem to imply that taking ARV's might affect even serology results, which worries me a lot since i cannot stop the meds now!

Forebearance

Yeah, I was taking four different natural ARVs at the time I sent my blood in and I got a "slightly postive" antibody result. Maybe if I had gone off them, the results would have been more positive.

Lynn

Yeah, I was taking four different natural ARVs at the time I sent my blood in and I got a "slightly postive" antibody result. Maybe if I had gone off them, the results would have been more positive.

Hi Forebearance,

I have a few questions. When did you submit the serology test that you already have the results? Also, what does a "slightly positive" antibody result mean? I would think one either has the antibodies or you don't. Obviously that is not the case, but how does that work?

Thanks,
Lynn

Forebearance

That's good to know, Sue.

Lynn, I was in a study and submitted my sample last spring. It took 4-5 months to get the results back. I have no idea what slighly positive means! Your guess is as good as mine. It feels like being told you're "slightly pregnant". The test was done by the WPI, so maybe they are able to distinguish all the shades of gray. But knowing how hard it is to find the buggers, I'm taking it as a positive result.

Yeah... slightly pregnant would be... yes, pregnant for sure. Just with less obvious indicators. Like, no bulging tummy yet :)

Well, maybe there is a grey area and they had to define the cuttoff somewhere? Like on those EBV or Lyme or HHV-06 tests where it says something like... if you had over 100 units per mL of blood, then you are positive, if you had 50-99 you are ambiguous, and < 50 negative. So slightly positive would be around 100-110 whereas obviously positive would be like 289? But 100 is still positive. Of course they don't always have an ambiguous range. And in plenty of tests, they later find out that the cutoffs were set wrong for everyone, or set wrong for certain types of people. (They say this for thryoid testing.)

Just my thoughts.

What is VipDx's provider code? If anyone knows. Or maybe my insurance company can look it up by just telling them the name? But last time I got a "special" lab test done my insurance told me that since they're out of state, they can't even give my accurate figures on how much I would have to pay. They gave me some estimates that were way off. If anyone has info on this, let me know. Thank you.

Daffodil

sickof...i have no idea but you could email them and ask..they respond pretty quickly: info@vipdx.com

forebearance...since you are "slightly positive" and sick, i would take it as positive...but thats just me - i really want to be positive lol

have you asked VIP Dx what this means?

sue
xoxo

Still trying to decide if I should get both tests now. Or just serology but I am leaning toward ordering a kit soon. Does anyone have a good reason for waiting even longer (besides financial reasons)?

Forebearance

SickOfSickness, the only other reason I can think of besides financial to wait on getting an XMRV test is that there is a small possibility that some other lab will come up with a way of testing for it that is even more accurate than the way the WPI has found.

Once the study that is like a contest among different labs to develop XMRV tests is done, there is supposed to be some kind of agreement reached on which test is the most accurate. I think that study is supposed to be finished pretty soon. (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

Sue, I haven't felt the need to ask VIP Dx what "slightly positive" means. I'm content with the result for now. When the validated, standard XMRV test comes out, I'll probably get re-tested.

I thought they would be the only provider of this testing. Because of their patents and their technology being the one that others have been catching up to. Hence all those incorrect duplication studies before good duplications started happening.