1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

View of NICE by its former chairman

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by MeSci, Jul 14, 2013.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1303907?query=TOC

This bit is particularly interesting:

"...NICE has adopted a methodologically rigorous approach to guidance development. All NICE guidance is based on a full systematic review of the available evidence, including not only the results of randomized, controlled trials, but also observational and analytic studies."

The NICE Guideline for CFS/ME states:

"Cognitive behavioural therapy and/or graded exercise therapy should be offered to people with mild or moderate CFS/ME and provided to those who choose these approaches, because currently these are the interventions for which there is the clearest research evidence of benefit."

http://publications.nice.org.uk/chr...opathy-cg53/key-priorities-for-implementation

There would appear to be something amiss with the claimed "methodologically rigorous approach to guidance development..." :rolleyes:

Valentijn likes this.
  2. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Something amiss here too:

"Fourth, NICE has, from the outset, jealously guarded its independence from vested interests, whether government, the professions, patient organizations, or the life-sciences industries."

Shell and Valentijn like this.
  3. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    The essay reads like it was written by a "public relations" hack, otherwise known as "propaganda".

There is no "package of universal health care" in the U.S. One could make the claim that there is a "package of universal health Insurance". But insurance has little to do with access to competent care, which requires, above all else, competent doctors. There seems to be a severe shortage of that particular "commodity"!

Even folks with "regular" illnesses such as high blood pressure and diabetes can't get competent care if they are poor. My sister in New York State has a masters in education but hasn't worked in her field for years. Currently she more or less survives on part-time work at Sams Club handing out food samples. She has no money, health insurance, or a primary care provider, but lots of student loans she can never discharge or pay off.

During a trip to the Emergency Room, she received a month's supply of BP pills and instructions to find a primary care provider. At the end of the month she went to an "urgent care" clinic where they charged her $100 to renew her prescription - for one month. A month later she returned to the same clinic. Once again she was forced to cough up $100 for another one month prescription. She was also told they would not provide continuing care for her illness.

Under the terms of the new health care law she should qualify for Medicaid, which is insurance paid by the government. But nobody seems to be able to figure out how to get her signed up.

The author of the journal essay seems to be ignorant of the fact that the U.S. has already set its priorities: unlimited profits for the medical and insurance industries, poverty and sickness for nearly everyone else.

4. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    "unlimited profits for the medical and insurance industries, poverty and sickness for nearly everyone else"

Unfortunately, the whole world is following that very bad example.

For "freedom and liberty" to mean anything - everybody needs their health and an education as a basic human right.,
    (not that I'm sure what is meant by "liberty and freedom" in the first place. I'm very dubious about certain interpretations.)

See more popular forum discussions.