• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Videos from ME-conference in Stockholm (October 2016) Includes lectures from Fluge and Bateman

upload_2016-12-5_16-39-24.png

Hip

Very interesting point made at timecode 45:50 in this talk by Dr Fluge, when a member of the audience asks Dr Fluge if it is possible to rule out the theory that ME/CFS may be driven by an intracellular infection of B-cells, such as an infection with Epstein-Barr virus.

Since rituximab kills the B-cells, this drug would also wipe out any intracellular infection in these cells, and thus in theory, this could explain how, if the B-cell infection were causing ME/CFS, rituximab can cure ME/CFS.

Dr Fluge replies by staying that he cannot entirely rule out such a possibility, but points out that rituximab kills the B-cells within days, so he says that if ME/CFS were directly caused by a B-cell infection, it would be difficult to explain why it takes 7 or 8 months before ME/CFS patients treated with rituximab improve. If ME/CFS were directly caused by a B-cell infection, you would expect the improvements to appear as soon as the B-cells were killed, days after rituximab is given.

Dr Fluge then mentions the case of a patient who was very sick, suffering for years with chronic Epstein-Barr virus infection, including infection of the B-cells (verified by B-cell biopsy). She had very high levels of EBV in her blood, and antivirals made no difference.

This chronic Epstein-Barr patient was referred to Dr Fluge: she was give rituximab, and sweated profusely for two days, but by the third day felt completely healthy.

So it is clear that when a patient's symptoms are due to chronic Epstein-Barr virus infection of the B-cells, rituximab cures their symptoms in a matter of days.

But with ME/CFS patients, it takes 7 to 8 months before the cure or improvements manifest.

So Dr Fluge says in his view, B-cell infection is not directly causing the symptoms of ME/CFS, but says he thinks viral infection does have something to do with ME/CFS, though he thinks it is the immune response after infection that is the driving factor, probably targeting and causing a dysfunction in the energy metabolism.

Last edited: