• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Video: Why there's less energy, even on good days

For Awareness Day, I made an easy-to-understand video on recent research explaining energy problems among people with ME/CFS. I thought that it might be useful for people who don't get into reading research articles and also that it might be something to show to family members.

Without further ado:

Aroa

That´s a good explanation of why our metabolism doesn´t produce enough energy

but why a healthy person that is a on a protein diet could have a normal life , and we are still quite far from it on the same diet?

Probably we should add Dr Naviaux hypothesis, as part of the picture, so that CDR promotes ATP being lost through the cell membranes, and extracellular ATP acts as a danger signalling molecule

Last edited:

lafarfelue

This is great! I watched it in a lower state of cognitive ability (end of a long, stressful/busy day), and was able to follow along pretty well. (What I mean by this is that it speaks to the fab quality of your presentation/video, rather than my cognitive ability.) :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for making it and sharing it with us! :hug: I look forward to sharing it with my friends and family:)

Edit: spelling/grammar

That´s a good explanation of why our metabolism doesn´t produce enough energy

but why a healthy person that is a on a protein diet could have a normal life , and we are still quite far from it on the same diet?

Probably we should add Dr Naviaux hypothesis, as part of the picture, so that CDR promotes ATP being lost through the cell membranes, and extracellular ATP acts as a danger signalling molecule
I was tempted to include Naviaux's hypothesis of ATP-loss as the fourth whammy, but I decided to restrict myself to what has been shown, rather than suggested. Still, I agree that it might be part of the explanation.

Anyway, healthy people, whatever their, diet, don't have the buildup of lactate during low-intensity activity that we suffer from.

I have my own hypotheses about 1) other problems caused by the failure to enter the Krebs Cycle and 2) compensatory changes under different diets - but I'm definitely not qualified to have them!

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Brilliant, ME for dummies. Helpful for me, and also something to give to healthy dummies.

Is this why using a heart-rate monitor helps - because if you keep your pulse low, your blood doesn't flow past your cells so fast so they're exposed to fewer bad agents? And vice versa, why increasing your pulse / activity leads to PEM?

Looking forward to the next video :)

Brilliant, ME for dummies. Helpful for me, and also something to give to healthy dummies.

Is this why using a heart-rate monitor helps - because if you keep your pulse low, your blood doesn't flow past your cells so fast so they're exposed to fewer bad agents? And vice versa, why increasing your pulse / activity leads to PEM?

Looking forward to the next video :)
:)

That's interesting! I've never read a description of how a higher heart-rate might move molecules in the blood to the wrong spot. A faster pulse can move hormones, oxygen, and other things in the bloodstream throughout the body more quickly. But who knows? Maybe the same stronger current can sweep local (paracrine) signals throughout the body, causing general changes instead of local ones. I'm not a biologist or medical doctor, so I can only wonder along with you.

But, as far as I've learned, the reason to limit our heart rates is different. Our heart rate isn't actually the problem; it's just a convenient sign of how hard our cells are working. (It's kind of like a car's speed. It doesn't directly tell you how hard the engine is working, but it provides a decent clue.) In relation to my video: if the heart rate is high, then probably some cells have to produce a lot of energy. This means that they can't clear lactate fast enough, so the lactate builds up, causing pain and reducing energy.

Nobody knows how all of this relates to PEM. It's clear that intense activity can trigger it, but in my case a lot of easy activity can trigger it, too.

ahmo

@TracyD
bravo.gif
thanx.gif