Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Video on individuals at a UK Malingering and Illness Deception Meeting

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, May 20, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Lots have commented about CFS, Gulf war illness, etc. as you can see.

Published on 10 Jul 2015
    Malingering and Illness Deception Meeting
    6th-8th November 2001
    Woodstock, Oxford

Aurator, Sean, Chrisb and 4 others like this.
  2. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Can't bring myself to 'like' that — too busy trying to control the nausea — but thanks, Dolphin.

3. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Not sure why, but for some reason I am reminded of a picture of the hotel staff from The Shining.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    ukxmrv, GreyOwl, Jennifer J and 7 others like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

The irony is that they are deceiving themselves (if they genuinely believe this stuff, and it's not just a narrative to justify discrimination and morally repugnant behaviour). With these people there is a consistent pattern of flawed logic, poor study design, and what can only be described as magical thinking. For example, the correlation between illness severity and whether the person is member of a support group for people with this disease can be interpreted in different ways. They do not make an effort to find out which interpretation is correct. They also ignore the obvious explanation, ie. that sicker people have greater need for support groups.

Another thing is that they are seemingly unable to design a study that properly controls for patient and researcher bias. Without this, the results can either mean what they conclude, or it could just document the placebo effect in action, or describe the researchers biases. In other areas of medicine it has long been accepted that bias must be controlled or the results will probably be misleading. Without controling for biass, it's just pseudoscience. It looks a lot like science but misses a crucial element.

The recent study on emotional suppression did not demonstrate that patients with CFS actually suppress emotions. It is not clear what the results mean since the observer was an unblinded researcher. I'm absolutely certain that will not stop them from acting as if they (sort of, at least a bit) demonstrated emotional suppression and build on this narrative, coming up with more studies and eventually testing treatments. And they will always find a way to pretend that they have something real.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Jennifer J, Sean, Ben Howell and 9 others like this.
  5. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

This is photo shopped isn't it with sourced actual quotes added in?

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Not sure what you mean. There was an actual meeting with all these people at it as far as I know.

This video wasn't made by somebody who was at the meeting or connected with the meeting.

7. Large Donner

Its not a video though and doesn't have any presentations. Its just the opening picture all the way through with speech bubbles added in with attributed quotes for 5 minutes.

Are you saying that all of those quotes etc are directly from one meeting in 2001 in Oxford? Is there a transcript of such a meeting or full audio recording.

Asa likes this.
  8. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

The Magical Thinking Society has a long and disturbed history.

Nice archival evidence of some of the key players that still promote this harmful ideology even today.

Jennifer J, TiredSam, ahmo and 4 others like this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

No
    Don't know

10. Asa

Asa Senior Member

Just when I thought I'd heard it all... 2.22 (paraphrasing) CFS(ME?) is fabricated in order to avoid having sex??! (--Dr. Christopher Bass)

--------------

All of this was terrible... cruel, sad... Thank you to whoever documented it though.

GreyOwl, Solstice, ahmo and 4 others like this.
  11. Esther12

Esther12

12. Large Donner

Mel9 and TiredSam like this.
  13. Imagine taking that photo, and making it look like an old one from the 1930s

Evil is an Equal Opportunity Employer
    same woes time after time after time
    the race religion whatever, don't matter
    always some group gets to use the stick, another gets to be hit with the stick.
    It flip-flops throughout history.
    Nearly always there is some ulterior motive, and quite often the thugs, psychopaths or misguided and compassionless jackasses who do the harm, are merely tools to effect an end for bigger nastier SOBs.

Asa, Chrisb, duncan and 1 other person like this.

14. they never do

Snowdrop likes this.
  15. Babylon5 has such insights....

Snowdrop likes this.
  16. Ben Howell

Ben Howell OMF Correspondent

U.K.
    I had to check whether this was even real. Why I am so suprised?

This is so wrong, in so many ways (let alone the refusal or more likely denial it seems for the psych lobby to read or comprehend any research on M.E to protect their vested interests). This was only last year. Keep playing that card guys 'M.E is real but reversible by their own efforts'. Ha ha ha.

Davis is going to destroy this, soon.

17. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    We need more people in the wider scientific/medical communities to stand up for patients because anyone can see this group of people have some very disturbing beliefs about the disease, backed up by a whole load of conflicts of interest, and are doing a lot of harm as a result.

Asa, ukxmrv, Comet and 7 others like this.
  18. Wildcat

Wildcat

The quotes in the speech Bubbles are actual quotes from published material by each of those individuals. The quotes are not from a transcript of the Woodstock meeting, but are from material published previously or susequently by the individuals they are attributed to in the video.

Asa, ukxmrv, MEMum and 7 others like this.
  19. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester BRING BACK KINA

What's the chap in the mac, front row, doing with his hands?

helen1, SDSue, Aurator and 3 others like this.
  20. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    From the aforementioned PDF
    That V-word again!

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Esther12 and Ben Howell like this.

See more popular forum discussions.