• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Video "Medical, Scientific, Political & Journalistic Pitfalls in Study of Confusing Illnesses"ME etc

Dolphin

I haven't watched this (I don't watch that many long videos) but it could be good, as Julie is a patient. Here's the description from her Facebook page:

It's a big week for me: Today, the video of the talk I gave at the Santa Fe Institute on Medical, Scientific, Political and Journalistic Pitfalls in the Study of Confusing Illnesses went up. It's primarily focused on ME/CFS (myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome), but the pattern of problems that has occurred in ME/CFS research, treatment, and media coverage applies to many other confusing illnesses as well. (And stay tuned in for another big thing of mine coming out tomorrow!)

http://santafe.edu/research/videos/...4-449d-99bb-15cdd745e89b#.UzSTpmkYNxI.twitter

Medical, Scientific, Political and Journalistic Pitfalls in the Study of Confusing Illnesses

by Julie Rehmeyer
Feb. 26, 2014

When illnesses are confusing, without clear mechanisms or sharply-defined symptoms, they are often considered psychosomatic, and there's a consistent pattern of poor handling by federal agencies, researchers, doctors, and the media. AIDS, multiple sclerosis, chronic Lyme disease, and chronic fatigue syndrome are all cases of this. I'll describe this pattern, focusing on chronic fatigue syndrome in particular, along with my understanding of why it happens.