• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VERY strong metallic taste

I get SUCH a strong metallic taste with the Methylation process..... I know I have very high Lead back from when I renovated an old house, so the Lead is obviously coming out now.
Anyone used any form of chelation with this protocol.
My ND is trying to help, but she really does not "get" the Methylation issues.....she is stuck on Colonics.

Plum

I do not know about chelation while on methylation but I would look into chlorella and spirulina. I know with both of these that you have to get them processed in a certain way to make sure the cell walls have been broken correctly to make the good stuff available. Hollistic dentists recommend chlorella after mercury filling removal.

Another thing I find useful is juicing. Look into Gerson Therapy for a therapeutic take on this.

I know you can get other things to help with chelation but they've always worried me as being too harsh for the body to handle. I like natural options.

Freddd

Hi Plum,

On the list of symptoms and nutrients I've been posting on the stages of methylation, metallic taste in the mouth has been corrected by adequate amounts of Metafolin with MeCbl in place already..

Hi Plum,

On the list of symptoms and nutrients I've been posting on the stages of methylation, metallic taste in the mouth has been corrected by adequate amounts of Metafolin with MeCbl in place already..
So what is "adequate".... it must be different for everyone ? If you have the metallic taste, does it mean you are taking too much, and you need to back down.
I know for sure I have a LOT of Lead on board.... so one way or another it needs to come out. But dumping it like this makes me feel AWFUl.

Freddd

So what is "adequate".... it must be different for everyone ? If you have the metallic taste, does it mean you are taking too much, and you need to back down.
I know for sure I have a LOT of Lead on board.... so one way or another it needs to come out. But dumping it like this makes me feel AWFUl.

Hi Branston,

So what is "adequate".... it must be different for everyone

I can give you the worst answer of all, yes and no. It must be titrated to effect and in balance with other things. The balance is reached pragmatically. However, part of the answer lies in how well you body uses the folates. I know people who find 800mcg of Metafolin to be great with what they also eat. I know of people, and a lot of them apprarently were in the Deplin trials, because there they found 15 and 30mcg to be the most effective doses.

In people that have a response to b12s and folates, how often they take the folate, what they take the folate with and maybe some more unknowns that determines the exact total dose. So 4 doses a day works better than 2 doses with the same daily total.

If you can find your symptoms in the lists below then elsewhere there is a decision tree to help figure out the pathway(s). For about 95% of those experiencing "detox" find an answer here. The rest are more complicated. The metallic taste isn't something that comes and goes as quickly as the symptoms in the list below. It appears to be more of a methyltrap symptoms or somethong of the sort. BUT there may be other things that do it. An infection breaking through to the surface from a bad root canal can taste that way. Gum infections can taste that way. After these are elliminated bringing methylation up to snuff appears to get rid of it for me and many others reporting such. And for us reporting it going away with Metafolin, it was in doses over 2400mcg/day. It didn't turn on one day or turn off one day. It slowly faded away as things healed. I don't know how much was from any one cause. For me I had at least 4 causes I can think of. I had to deal with the infections first after I realized. My dentoist was able to point that out. However, my gum infections wouldn't heal until my immune system started working better which happened slowly.

All of these are flags indicating healing is occurring. Minimizing nervous system response reduces or stops healing, especially of the nervous system. Minimizing ATP response prevents normalization of biochemistry.

1 - Low potassium, almost everybody when healing starts. – often called “detox”

2 - Low folate symptoms even with small doses of Metafolin – often called “detox”

3 - Nervous system activation, everything is perceived as more intense – often called “detox”

4 – ATP activation, everything is more energetic and intense – often called “detox”

Group 1 – Hypokalemia onset. Symptoms may appear with serum potassium as high as 4.3. May become dangerous if ignored. Considered “rare” with cyanocobalamin it is very common with methylb12 and adensosylb12 and less so with hydroxycobalamin..

IBS – Steady constipation , Nausea, Vomiting, Paralyzed Ileum, Hard knots of muscle, Sudden muscle spasms when relaxed, Sudden muscle spasms when stretching , Sudden muscle spasms when kneeling, Sudden muscle spasms when reaching , Sudden muscle spasms when turning upper body to side, Tightening of muscles, spasms and excruciating pain in neck muscles, waking up screaming in pain from muscle spasms in legs. Muscle weakness, Abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias), Increased pulse rate, Increased blood pressure, Emotional changes and/or instability, dermal or sub-dermal Itching, and if not treated potentially paralysis and death.

Group 2a - Both

IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation

Group 2b – Either or both

Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue

Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency

IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract, increased hypersensitive responses , Skin rashes, Increased acne, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips, Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores, Coated tongue, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, rapidly increasing Generalized inflammation in body, Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, Increase irritability, Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Old symptoms returning, Heart palpitations, Bleeding easily.

Group 4 - Hydroxycbl onset, degraded methylcbl onset, methylcbl after photolytic breakdown onset.

Itchy bumps generally on scalp or face that develops to acne like lesions in a few days from start.

Group 3 symptoms, induced paradoxical folate deficiency or insufficiency are corrected quickly with titrated doses of Metafolin, methylb12 and adenosylb12. If glutathione (precursors) are the cause then larger doses of Metafolin, 7.5-15mg,or maybe more are needed. Different tissues are affected at different levels of methylfolate, it comes or goes in stages. Very strong dose proportionate characteristics are present. Serum folate levels may be high or even very high despite Metafolin responsive deficiency/insufficiency symptoms.

Group 1 symptoms respond readily to potassium. The symptoms and response to potassium may occur at a serum level of 4.3 or less.

*GG*

I do not know about chelation while on methylation but I would look into chlorella and spirulina. I know with both of these that you have to get them processed in a certain way to make sure the cell walls have been broken correctly to make the good stuff available. Hollistic dentists recommend chlorella after mercury filling removal.

Another thing I find useful is juicing. Look into Gerson Therapy for a therapeutic take on this.

I know you can get other things to help with chelation but they've always worried me as being too harsh for the body to handle. I like natural options.

My Dr has me take Cholestryamine (CSM) with chlorella for toxins (mold etc..), my metals were low last time I was tested, and I have been doing detox for about 3 years now.

Here is a website that might help you find a Dr who will prescribe CSM:

http://www.acamnet.org/site/c.ltJWJ4MPIwE/b.2071557/k.7C1E/ACAM_Homepage.htm

GG

Sparrow

May not be related, but I don't suppose you're also taking any GABA, or have eaten pine nuts recently? They can both create that kind of metallic flavour in the mouth (I had it from GABA, though it didn't appear right away). Zinc deficiency can also mess with taste, though not necessarily in metallic ways. There is a lot of speculation about why some kinds of pine nuts can create that reaction, and it's possible that something you're doing may be affecting your body in a similar way. If it's a very strong taste like that, I would consider other causes in addition to toxic metals in your body.

xjhuez

Unmistakable metallic taste in my mouth after beginning Metafolin today. I only took a quarter of a tablet (200mg) with my first meal and now 3 hours later I feel slightly ill and am having no success swishing the taste away with water.

Reading Freddd's post above, I think I can eliminate potassium as the issue. My serum potassium tested normal recently, and I began taking potassium citrate last week just in case. I'm also on mb12, LCF, vit c and CoQ10.

Freddd

Unmistakable metallic taste in my mouth after beginning Metafolin today. I only took a quarter of a tablet (200mg) with my first meal and now 3 hours later I feel slightly ill and am having no success swishing the taste away with water.

Reading Freddd's post above, I think I can eliminate potassium as the issue. My serum potassium tested normal recently, and I began taking potassium citrate last week just in case. I'm also on mb12, LCF, vit c and CoQ10.

Can you describe "ill" in more details, exact symptoms preferred to have a chance of recognition of what is happeing. Three hours sounds like intensification and changes in the nervous system. It's way too fast for a lot of things.

I also get metallic taste in mouth a lot and been wondering what's the cause. Different foods or meds can make it worse, like last night I tried 20mg esomeprazole and now had the weird metallic sensation with vibration since that. But it's there most of the time, and some foods mask it for a while. But I also wonder if it's neurological because the vibration feels in my whole head or even whole body in a very funny way. I have been wondering about heavy metals etc but then why different foods worsen it? Mysteries...