• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very High Intracellular Calcium

Hello All
I have been very ill for 2.5 years. First diagnosed with CFS/Fibromyalgia and recently tested positive for Lyme. I am new to this forum so not sure to post this question here or in CFS area, so will do both. I was about to start treatment via IV antibiotics in UK (every day for 4 weeks) but tests have just come back and my doctor believes I'm to sensitive to medications to tolerate the antibiotics at the moment. She is more concerned with the blood result showing very high intracellular calcium levels and wants to treat this with immunotherapy. I'm concerned with this approach and I'm hoping somebody out there has experience or any advice to offer on how serious this is and how to treat it please??

alex3619

I was theorizing about this some 15 years ago, but have not worked on it since. I treat this with resveratrol, 600mg (if nearly 100% pure trans, and I increase it for lower doses) twice a week. Magnesium may also be a consideration.

It depends very greatly on whether or not the intracellular calcium is ionized. I guess it is. If so then its an intracellular messenger, Its like a hormone for inside cells. It totally transforms the function of the cells. Whatever state you are in may be linked to something like this, but sadly we don't know as much about this kind of thing as we need to.

Fruit juice (citric acid) might also help flush some of the calcium, but I wouldn't count on it and it might have other side effects.

I do not follow Lyme research very much and so I am not aware if treatment for Lyme will help with the calcium issue.

Thank you. May I ask why you use the resveratrol (is this made from red grapes?). I'm trying the magnesium citrate but can only tolerate 200mg per day due to the side effects of dioreaha (even this tablet I have to break into 3 pieces and take throughout the day).

alex3619

Resveratrol is a phosphodiestate 4 inhibitor. You can ignore the details and focus on this, it raises intracellular cyclic AMP, or cAMP/. cAMP and ionized calcium are in opposition to each other, and raising cAMP might lower Ca++ as well as counter its effects. Its the balance of cAMP and Ca++ that to a great extent determine how a cell is functioning.

If you have having gut issues you will have to avoid resveratrol if its made from Japanese knotweed rather than red grapes. Different manufacturers use these two different sources, but knotweed can cause gut issues.