• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very high aldosterone level

helen1

I got my aldosterone checked, as I thought I had LOW aldosterone and possibly diabetes insipidus. It's actually very high at 1730 pmol/L and I'm really stumped. Renin was in range at 25 (5-75). Ratio of aldosterone to renin is 68, with the accompanying comment reading "possible aldosteronism".

I have low blood pressure and heart rate, contrary to what's typical for those with aldosteronism. A few months back, my potassium and sodium were at a good level (4.8 and 140).

I do crave and eat a lot of salt but had no added salt for 24 hrs before the test as per instructions.
Any ideas of what might be happening?

rlc

Hi Helen, re

I got my aldosterone checked, as I thought I had LOW aldosterone and possibly diabetes insipidus. It's actually very high at 1730 pmol/L and I'm really stumped.

Have your doctors followed up on this result? high aldosterone can be caused by the diseases listed here http://en.diagnosispro.com/differential_diagnosis-for/aldosterone-serum-lab-increased/11843-154.html If it hasn't been followed up on, get a doctor who will find the cause of the High aldosterone!

All the best

Helen

I got my aldosterone checked, as I thought I had LOW aldosterone and possibly diabetes insipidus. It's actually very high at 1730 pmol/L and I'm really stumped. Renin was in range at 25 (5-75). Ratio of aldosterone to renin is 68, with the accompanying comment reading "possible aldosteronism".

I have low blood pressure and heart rate, contrary to what's typical for those with aldosteronism. A few months back, my potassium and sodium were at a good level (4.8 and 140).

I do crave and eat a lot of salt but had no added salt for 24 hrs before the test as per instructions.
Any ideas of what might be happening?

Hi Helen,

It looks like you have had a 23andme test. Did you check the ACE SNP`s? Dr.Yasko noticed in the results that almost everyone with ME or autism spectrum disorders have a ACE deletion so she stopped analyzing that gene in favour for someone else. I had a test from Yasko some years ago and in that test ACE was included, but not any more.

The ACE deletion among PWME´s is seen here too https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar76dNWyEQLIdExKZUhfXzFUWHpkWnZObk1TM1dxX0E&hl=en#gid=0.

Maybe you have got this gene defect and this has something to do with your high aldosterone?

To Helen from Helen :)

helen1

ric, thanks for that scary list! I've just had it retested today WITH unrestricted salt this time, so doc is onto it; results in 2 weeks.

Helen, thanks for that interesting piece of info. I don't see ACE so will have a look in my raw data (Wikipedia has a good entry for ACE). But if the ACE deletion is so common in CFS ME why doesn't everyone here have diabetes insipidus ?

Helen

ric, thanks for that scary list! I've just had it retested today WITH unrestricted salt this time, so doc is onto it; results in 2 weeks.

Helen, thanks for that interesting piece of info. I don't see ACE so will have a look in my raw data (Wikipedia has a good entry for ACE). But if the ACE deletion is so common in CFS ME why doesn't everyone here have diabetes insipidus ?

I have no good answer to that, but I remember Rich mentioned a higher prevalence of diabetes, or symptoms like diabetes, among PWME´s in the seminar he had in Sweden (maybe you have seen the video linked somewhere?).

rlc

Hi Helen 1, re

thanks for that scary list! I've just had it retested today WITH unrestricted salt this time, so doc is onto it; results in 2 weeks.

That’s good news, Aldosterone is an important test and failed results can indicate some serious problems, which need diagnosing quickly, hope your doc sorts it out for you soon!

All the best