• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very fast heart rate.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Over the past 12 months I've been really a lot worse physically, I've not been as active due to this.
I've noticed recently that my heart rate is increasing dramatically even on just walking upstairs and I'm getting breathless which has never happened before. My resting heart rate is about 80/85 this rises to over 100 up to 111 on just walking upstairs. I'm reluctant to go to the docs - surprise surprise - Anyone had this symptom and resolved it?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Walking up the stair is an exertion, so I am not surprised your pulse goes up a bit. What's more significant is recovery time. Ideally your pulse should go back to its resting rate in 2 minutes after an exertion. Maybe check that out.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Over the past 12 months I've been really a lot worse physically, I've not been as active due to this.
I've noticed recently that my heart rate is increasing dramatically even on just walking upstairs and I'm getting breathless which has never happened before. My resting heart rate is about 80/85 this rises to over 100 up to 111 on just walking upstairs. I'm reluctant to go to the docs - surprise surprise - Anyone had this symptom and resolved it?

Walking up stairs is a special stress for the ANS and circulation. My autonomic doc explained it once but of course I have forgotten. You use different muscles climbing stairs than walking on level ground. What does your heart rate do when just walking? Yes, this is a difficult symptom, but not a bit unusual.

Sushi

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Dreambirdie _thanks - I will go upstairs later on and see how long it takes for it to come down.

Sushi - thanks for the info - I need to bring my heart monitor downstairs and do a couple of walks on the flat - probably tomorrow now, its going dark here. Also my grandson is here and I don't want to get in to answering 'what are you doing' :)
I have noticed that I don't feel as bad or get particularly breathless when walking on the flat so think your probably spot on with that.

I just think 111 is a pretty high heart rate though...But I'll probably never get to know why - we rarely get symptoms explained do we? Main thing I've found is to not worry - and of course get help and info from you guys.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I have a tendency towards a fast heart rate too, especially in the morning when I feel weakest.

I use a couple acupoints to calm my heart down when I need to. I actually have tiny baby needles that I can tape on and stimulate, but it can also work to press these points with your thumb.

The first one is Heart 7, which is called Shen Men (spirit gate). It's used for emotional distress, anxiety and insomnia. It is one of my top 10 favorite points, along with Pericardium 6, which is also used for anxiety, palpitations and arrhythmia, and is also used a lot for nausea. You can try both of them and see how they work for you.

Unknown-1.jpeg

3135238_ECAM2011-301974.001.png

sianrecovery

That's brilliant Dreambirdie - thank you. Donna Eden has some good meridian stuff for this too.

Maryb - I have something similiar, which I assumed was POTS/dsyautonomia related - and its more intense on T3- chatted briefly with Sarah Myhill about it - my heart rate is high, and my blood pressure low, and my pulse goes up on exertion and doesnt go back down as it should - she was explaining how hard the heart had to work in if you blood pressure was low, especially on going from sitting to standing. She sees it as a mito thing.
I find either lying down flat, or paradoxically, walking helps - as does tensing and holding the muscles of my stomach, letting go, then doing it again - guess they all change the distribution of the blood.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thnks Sian - my blood pressure used to be lower but now is about 120/75 normally. I have increased my salt intake.
I'll have to do some monitoring tomorrow see what it shows doing various things.

sianrecovery

Yeah, thats a usual reading for me. I had one in the 80/50 range when the chiropractor took it the other day, and a pulse in the 90's. I think adrenal function is key, here, too.

adreno

PR activist
111 is not a high heart rate for walking up stairs. A resting heart rate of 80-85 is pretty high, though. Electrolyte imbalances, high NE, or some form of dysautonomia would be my first guess. I can usually control my heart rate at this point, and move it into the normal range using electrolytes and other supplements.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
taking prescription potassium citrate (I am on a relatively high dose, but use more of a lower dose so they are easier to swallow) seems to help heart arrythmias for me (even though they don't budge my blood potassium level much: it stays low to low-normal).

keeping well hydrated, especially with electrolyte drink, also helps a bit. drinking one cup of caffeine tea when I first get up (not necessarily morning) also helps (even though tea is a diuretic, the caffeine is a vasoconstrictor).

Like adreno said, 111 is not high for walking up stairs. however feeling dizzy or such would be a concern.

also breathlessness is a concern.

SOC

Your HR and BP is about the same as mine under similar circumstances. For me this developed later in the illness. Early on I had low BP and lower HR.

Your HR is not exceptionally high, but if you are uncomfortable -- dizzy, breathless -- you really should have it looked into; it could be a cardiac issue. A cardiologist could also detect POTS or other autonomic issues.

I have low blood volume. I feel a lot better with extra electrolyte fluids and fludrocortisone. The biggest thing the fludrocortisone does for me is that my HR doesn't increase as rapidly and it goes back down relatively quickly.

Seven7

Seven
Cause for me was Orthostatic Intolerance, I was put on Beta Blockers. Helped a lot since I didn't get as tired and the out of breath situation went away. I am not on them as much as I get better (maybe when I will be super active I take tem). I was on midodrine also and florinef so the OI meds have to be played with until you find the happy spot.

gregh286

Cause for me was Orthostatic Intolerance, I was put on Beta Blockers. Helped a lot since I didn't get as tired and the out of breath situation went away. I am not on them as much as I get better (maybe when I will be super active I take tem). I was on midodrine also and florinef so the OI meds have to be played with until you find the happy spot.

Thanks but my resting HR is ok at 60, does BB bring this lower also?

Seven7

Seven
Thanks but my resting HR is ok at 60, does BB bring this lower also?
My RHR was 104 but it did not bring it down, as I took the pill it would bring down to 84 and on good days to 70 so I wake up 104, take pill and about a few good min later would be 84, by afternoon 74. Sorry I don't know much of mechanism. OI is tricky because things that are supposed to lower BP raises it for me, things that lower HR would not and so on. The usual rules do not apply (example: I had high BP when I crash but low BP at resting) so then they gave me a drug to raise BP, I never had it high during a crash.