• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very confusing EBV lab results

When I was 14 I had Mono. I am 48 years old now.
6 years ago I had sore throat for a few months. My naturopath ran EBV tests and ALL 4 were very high and positive.
VCA Igm
EA IgG
VCA IgG
EBNA IgG
All other test results were normal and good and have stayed that way.
My sore throat eventually went away and over the past 6 years with the exception of a bit of fatigue I have been very health. Work out every day and rarely sick.
Thing is, all 4 of my titers have remained positive and high and we have tried everything to get rid of but can't seem to do. Nothing else wrong with my blood results. Doing internet research trying to figure out what these numbers mean and just come up with confusion.
Any idea hot to interpet my lab results. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Learner1

Is this one set of tests, or repeated tests at intervals? What were the values and ranges? What interventions did you try, like an antiviral of some sort?

Multiple tests. About every 6 months. I don't have exact but values were extrememly high.
As far as intervention, we've tried a few IV's, and I just recently did the thing where they draw my blood, mix it with something and then put it back in. I don't feel any different but new labs coming in a few weeks.

Hip

Thing is, all 4 of my titers have remained positive and high and we have tried everything to get rid of but can't seem to do.

High titers to certain viruses are found in ME/CFS patients, and to ME/CFS doctors this indicates that particular virus might be causing the ME/CFS, and that you may benefit from antiviral or immunomodulatory treatment.

Would you like to post your latest EBV titers here, along with the name of the testing lab, and the stated threshold titer for positive infection.

High antibody titers suggest, but do not necessarily imply active infection. That's because these antibody tests do not detect the virus directly, but measure the immune response to the virus. For a test that detects the virus directly, you would want a blood PCR test for EBV. If that were positive, then you know you have an active infection.

Also, some diseases are associated with high antibody titers; these include:
  • IgG myeloma
  • chronic liver disease e.g. cirrhosis
  • sarcoidosis
  • chronic infection
  • autoimmune disease
  • parasitic diseases
Source: here.

Learner1

Multiple tests. About every 6 months. I don't have exact but values were extrememly high.
As far as intervention, we've tried a few IV's, and I just recently did the thing where they draw my blood, mix it with something and then put it back in. I don't feel any different but new labs coming in a few weeks.
What kind of IVs? What was your blood mixed with? What would lead you to believe these would be effective against EBV? If you have EBV, it needs to be attacked with something that will be effective. My doctor prescribed valganciclovir after high dose vitamin C, artesunate, and ozone were not enough due to my dysfunctional immune system.

A PCR test would rest for the DNA of the virus, which could help you figure out if you have it, although a high VCA IgM indicates it is active.