• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vertigo-Medications?

F

Flanagan

Has anyone found an effective medication for vertigo? I am completely incapacitated by it.

Vertigo

Hi,

During and after radiation treatments for a brain tumor I had severe vertigo and hemifacial spasms. I took Klonapin for both. It helped a lot. It was prescribed by a neurologist and from what I learned online seemed to be a fairly common treatment.

I am sorry you are having to go through it. I hope it subsides soon.

F

Flanagan

Thanks!

Thanks so much. I hope you're all well too. I'll try klonopin. I need something!

Min

Sorry you are so poorly.

I take SERC tablets (UK name), betahistine dihydrochloride - I keep them with me for when it starts as labrythitis has always been part of my M.E.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
If you want something a little less potent, the herb Ginger helps when I get mild flares of vertigo. Sometimes I have to resort to phenergran, but it's lights out then.

F

Flanagan

August, does the ginger help with the vertigo itself, or just the nausea?

A

anne

I know this is a ridiculous question, but I've heard different things. Could someone define vertigo for me?

F

Flanagan

Vertigo is the sensation and appearance that everything around you is moving. You feel like you're spinning or bobbing up and down or falling in space when you are actually stationary. Things around you will actually appear to be moving when they are not. It's horrible.

A

anne

Thank you. I'm always at a loss to describe the dizziness I get. It isn't vertigo, it isn't lightheadedness. We've just started to call it "schwoozy."

m1she11e

I get different versions of Vertigo off and on. Sometimes the full on spins, sometimes just the sensation of moving when I am not. Sometimes I can just feel that fuzzy feeling in my head and neck and know that I am about to go into a episode.

I have found that a homeopathic product called Vertigoheel (by Heel) helps me a lot. Sometimes I have to take it every 15 minutes for 4 or 5 doses but it will usually head it off before it gets going.

I also find that stretching and rubbing my neck and shoulders helps a bit but the Vertigoheel is the best.

That Vertigo is no fun! Good luck!

Michelle