• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vertigo after b12 shot?

SuzieSam

I don't know if my sudden Vertigo is from subcutaneous methyl cobalamin 20mg subcutaneous shot or not.

I also started taking Dessicated Thyroid Hormone, 60mg, at the same time. Ah, just looked it up, could be this. Dammit.

I get migraines that come with Vertigo, but for the week I've had this, I've not had serious pain, just unpleasant.

Hell, it could be a long, lingering kind of migraine. Just don't wanna chalk it up to that too soon.

Anyone have any ideas? I can type, but can't look up info here. Reading is making me too queasy. Thank you, Happy new year :)

Last edited:

Forbin

As always, I'd recommend talking to a doctor in the event of any unusual, new symptom.

There is something called benign paroxysmal postural vertigo, or BPPV. It's a spinning sensation that usually follows a sudden movement of the head (many episodes are apparently triggered by simply sitting up in bed in the morning). BPPV is severe for a few minutes, then it improves to a degree, and then it gradually fades over 1 - 2 weeks. It's caused by tiny, loose crystals floating around and stimulating nerves in the balance center of the inner ear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_paroxysmal_positional_vertigo

There are treatments for BPPV, including something called the Epley Manuever, which are designed to coax the crystals out of the inner ear's balance center. You can find several demonstrations of this maneuver on youtube. Again, I would seek a doctor's advice on this if this is a new symptom.

I've experienced BPPV a couple of times in the last few years. I'm now in the age range (50+) where people generally start to get BPPV. Fortunately, it's not too common.

For me, it is distinctly different from the constant, bobbing dizziness (as opposed to spinning vertigo) that was my first distinct symptom of ME. That kind of dizziness may have been related to the migraines I had early on, but they didn't always overlap and the dizziness persisted well after the migraines ceased. In my case, that type of dizziness gradually faded over the years, but it took a long time. I never really saw any relief from motion sickness drugs like Antivert, but that was a long time ago and there may be other drugs now.

I don't know if any of that helps, but I wish you luck. I know only too well how difficult vertigo/dizziness can be.

SuzieSam

Thanks so much @Forbin. I'm waiting for my doctor to get back to me on this.

"Spinning vertigo" is definitely it. Plus a constant headache, though. Don't know if that's a feature of Benign ppv? I'm leaning towards this being a side effect of my new thyroid pills, which is dismaying.

I'm finding it hard to type and read, but I really appreciate your input and empathy. Lying in bed is like being in a boat!

JaimeS

Vitamin B12 shots were a disaster for me.

First I felt AMAZING. But in about 30min to 45 minutes after, I got vertigo and a sinking, dragging sensation, followed by the worst PEM I'd had in a year.

Not for me.

Cohen2

This is part of ME for me, although much worse with PEM. I've had to give up video games because of it and can't read for long. So I sympathise. It sounds like it is that thyroid hormone. I hope you can work something out. Happy new year.

SuzieSam

Happy New Year @Cohen2 You're so sweet. Hell, to have the vertigo be a regular thing, must be horrible for you. :( The house stays put on regular days, and now I very much appreciate that fact! Totally took for granted that the walls didn't tilt when I moved my head. Or my eyes, at times.

Yeah, reading. On a phone. Nope. Not last week. Close your eyes and spinnnnnn! I get migraines with bad vertigo, but the agony overrides it. Oh dude - video games - first person shooter? Ugh, dizzy.

I can't even play Candy Crush because it makes me feel nauseous. I ended up playing computer games for 6 year olds. Pop the bubbles. Bad ass. :p

SuzieSam

Hey @JaimeS thanks for telling me about your experience. Pretty extreme! Is your B12 level good now - presumably just on tablets?

Happy new Year :thumbsup: