1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Naturopathy: Happy Anniversary to Me and Dr. Upcott
It has been seven years since Jody Smith began seeing her Naturopath Doctor. Time then for a brief reflection on the extent to which a variety of interventions may have helped move Jody forwards in her own battle with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

VDR Taq alleles

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by dbkita, Mar 11, 2013.

1. dbkita

dbkita Senior Member

So I recently got my 23andMe results and used Genetic Genie to convert them to the Yasko panel. I will post my results in another thread at some point.

My question though is as follows.

For the VDR Taq SNP rs731236 I have the AA homozygote combination. According the Genetic Genie this is ++ in the Yasko notation.

But when I look here:
    http://browser.1000genomes.org/Homo...7-48239257;v=rs731236;vdb=variation;vf=586368

The reference is the A allele and the AA combination is greater than 50%!

But according to Yasko this is the risk allele?

I am confused. My questions is which allele leads to reduce dopamine production? The A or the G?​
    Anyone have any thoughts?​
  2. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    It is confusing. According to this page on Yasko's methylation G is the risk allele.

http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Yasko_Methylation

I still don't really understand this one. It seems that it is not really good or bad by itself but has effect in combination with COMT.

As I am AG I am heterozygous so no help as to which one is the problem
  3. dbkita

dbkita Senior Member

According to Dr Yasko (and Genetic Genie) the AA allele is considered ++ and low dopamine (with higher methyl donor tolerance). So I am confused since the GG allele is only 8% or so of the population.

See more popular forum discussions.