1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

VDR Taq alleles

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by dbkita, Mar 11, 2013.

1. dbkita

dbkita Senior Member

So I recently got my 23andMe results and used Genetic Genie to convert them to the Yasko panel. I will post my results in another thread at some point.

My question though is as follows.

For the VDR Taq SNP rs731236 I have the AA homozygote combination. According the Genetic Genie this is ++ in the Yasko notation.

But when I look here:
    http://browser.1000genomes.org/Homo...7-48239257;v=rs731236;vdb=variation;vf=586368

The reference is the A allele and the AA combination is greater than 50%!

But according to Yasko this is the risk allele?

I am confused. My questions is which allele leads to reduce dopamine production? The A or the G?​
    Anyone have any thoughts?​
  2. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    It is confusing. According to this page on Yasko's methylation G is the risk allele.

http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Yasko_Methylation

I still don't really understand this one. It seems that it is not really good or bad by itself but has effect in combination with COMT.

As I am AG I am heterozygous so no help as to which one is the problem
  3. dbkita

dbkita Senior Member

According to Dr Yasko (and Genetic Genie) the AA allele is considered ++ and low dopamine (with higher methyl donor tolerance). So I am confused since the GG allele is only 8% or so of the population.

See more popular forum discussions.