1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP)

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by ggingues, Dec 6, 2010.

1. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
  2. redhummingbird

redhummingbird

I took it for awhile.

It was expensive and it had zero effect. My doctor's office did a study using it and no one had any benefit from it.

I've been in touch with 3 Shoemaker patients also who reported similar results.
  3. slayadragon

slayadragon Senior Member

twitpic.com/photos/SlayaDragon
    I heard that Shoemaker is now requiring people to get a good score on an ERMI test (suggesting that their home is clean with regard to toxic mold) before he will prescribe VIP for them.

Apparently he agrees with the contention that this sort of thing only works when people are not living in a moldy environment.

I would think that living in a place with other biotoxins also would keep it from working.

I personally doubt that it would be of any help regardless of what sort of environment people are living in. I'd be taking it myself if I thought it would have benefit.

Maybe eventually he'll report some data that it actually does something though.....

Best, Lisa
  4. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    let us know if you try it lisa
    i have been interested
    i forget, is this related to that peptide by the lady scientist in what the bleep do we know.....whats her name, apparently judy mikovitz had talked with her too about more natural treatments...
  5. lono

lono

Aviptadil (currently available form of VIP) - doesn't raise VIP blood plasma levels

My understanding is that the currently available form of vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP), called Aviptadil, does not raise blood plasma levels of VIP. I think it's possible this is why it's not effective for many people.

Dr. Shoemaker's theory is that Aviptadil doesn't work for some people because of ongoing inflammation, mold exposure, etc. I think it could also be because Aviptadil doesn't increase blood plasma levels of VIP. Pharma companies are interested in developing other, longer lasting forms of VIP, but it'll be a while before they are available.

One other thing to note. I believe many, many CFS/ME folks have low VIP levels (I do). I wish more doctors would pay attention to this. VIP modulates/controls many functions that are haywire in PWCs including sleep, digestion, neurocognitive functions, inflammatory control, etc., etc.

Donald Staines has written several articles in the medical literature postulating that vasoactive neuropeptide deficiencies could be the cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
  6. redhummingbird

redhummingbird

The Shoemaker patients I'm in contact with were living in 'good' environments so there was no reason for it not to work. Similarly with the study my doctor's office did.

I agree with Lono. The current form of VIP does not raise VIP blood plasma levels which has nothing to do with living in a 'bad' environment. I very much doubt Shoemaker will report data because the results just aren't there (he is part of a group my doctor is in so they are in regular contact).

I also think VIP is important-I'm glad to know that Pharma companies are interested in this.
  7. lono

lono

Let's just hope that if Aviptadil ends up not being effective for most CFSers, that this won't prevent other researchers from looking into it for PWCs. Also, people who have low VIP and CFS symptoms will almost always also have low melanocyte stimulating hormone (MSH).

VIP and MSH have many overlapping functions, so it's also possible that you might need to raise both MSH and VIP for many people to get better.

And as far as I can tell the main interest in MSH medications is in the areas of skin pigmentation, libido and appetite. Out of all the MSH functions, these are the ones I'm least interested in.
  8. mtnwoman

mtnwoman

Elcatonin raises VIP

Hi folks,,, I was googling about how to raise VIP and I found this forum.

I have lyme with MCS, low VIP, high C4a, osteoporosis, etc... I am looking for how to raise my VIP... looks like I can treat my osteoporosis and low VIP (and gum recession? and brain pain??) too...

I found this:
    That's an old article,,, and I never heard of that medication. I wonder for how long it would raise the VIP? Enough to lower symptoms and disease process? If it improves bone health I imagine it would keep VIP elevated significantly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for this fine forum.
  9. Tristen

Tristen Senior Member

Northern Ca. USA
    Pretty old thread. Hope some still have it subscribed. How did people get Aviptadil in the USA? Thanks
  10. kyzcreig

kyzcreig

It's disheartening to hear that Aviptadil is not effective in raising VIP. Are there any holistic means of treating it?

See more popular forum discussions.