Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Varying [dose] effects of resveratrol on tissue repair

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by Sherlock, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    mice - dish

http://www.mmu.ac.uk/news/news-items/3336/
    Wine and chocolate chemical could harm muscles

The impact of resveratrol and hydrogen peroxide on muscle cell plasticity shows a dose-dependent interaction, published in Scientific Reports, January 2015.

Blunted hypertrophic response in old mouse muscle is associated with a lower satellite cell density and is not alleviated by resveratrol, published in Experimental Gerontology, February 2015.

2. Sherlock

Czechosherlockia, USA
    The impact of resveratrol and hydrogen peroxide on muscle cell plasticity shows a dose-dependent interaction
    FFT Published 28 January 2015
    http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/150128/srep08093/full/srep08093.html

ahmo likes this.
  3. Sherlock

Czechosherlockia, USA
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I cannot speak to this repair issue but resveratrol is the only thing controlling my breathing conditions, and a lower dose does not work. I am taking 600mg twice a week, that is at T98 strength, its equivent to about 1200mg at 50% strength. This dosage may be the only reason I am still alive. I used to get regular, up to twenty times per night (usually only happened when awake if I had severe throat irritation) lung seizures and each time this meant I stopped breathing. Resveratrol stops that reaction cold. It also has many other postive effects.

Most things have a positive and negative set of factors at different doses, including vitamins. Its why megadosing can be a problem.

Nobody knows the net benefit/risk ratio, particularly for individuals as people often have lots of issues that are not average.

With a twice a week schedule I stop my breathing problems but have less risk than with a constant dose. This dose was determined empirically with one question in mind: what will fix my breathing?

If the problems start recurring or I come down with a sore throat I shift the dose to daily until the issue is resolved. Throat infections could, in theory, mean I have to take it daily for a long time. A more insidious return of the lung issue with no obvious cause (initially) can usually be traced back to forgetting to take my regular dose. Twice a week means I forget quite often.

Resveratrol shifts the Ca++/cAMP balance, altering intracellular messaging, because its a phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitor. Its not without risks, largely due to unknowns in long term treatment. However many of the secondary effects are beneficial. Its an option to try this if you are having breathing issues.

Another thing it does is make it harder to sleep, but also easier to cope with not sleeping. I also feel slightly more energized.

Sidereal, ahmo, Hanna and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sherlock

Czechosherlockia, USA
    @alex3619 Sorry to hear that things have been that rough for you, Alex.

If this study result applies to humans and if aged mouse muscle is especially similar to ME muscle, then maybe it's a good idea to avoid exertion after taking the RS.

Side note: the red skins of redskin peanuts have RS, and the roots were once talked about as a cheap source.

alex3619 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.