• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Varying [dose] effects of resveratrol on tissue repair

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
mice - dish

http://www.mmu.ac.uk/news/news-items/3336/
Wine and chocolate chemical could harm muscles

New research has demonstrated how the amount of the compound resveratrol determines whether it acts as antioxidant with anti-ageing properties or has a toxic effect and hinders muscle tissue repair.

“The results showed that the effects are dependent on the dose and it is unclear from the equivocal results if drinking wine or eating chocolate would have anti-ageing properties and repair muscle or the opposite.”

Using muscle cells in vitro, researchers tested the cycle of muscle regeneration which starts with the activation of muscle satellite cells and continues with myoblast proliferation, migration and withdrawal from the cell. The final step is the satellite cell’s fusion with the damaged muscle fibre.

Low doses stimulated this satellite cell activation and migration while higher concentrations stopped it, and even had a cytotoxic effect on the cell.

The impact of resveratrol and hydrogen peroxide on muscle cell plasticity shows a dose-dependent interaction, published in Scientific Reports, January 2015.

Blunted hypertrophic response in old mouse muscle is associated with a lower satellite cell density and is not alleviated by resveratrol, published in Experimental Gerontology, February 2015.

Sherlock

The impact of resveratrol and hydrogen peroxide on muscle cell plasticity shows a dose-dependent interaction
FFT Published 28 January 2015
http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/150128/srep08093/full/srep08093.html

In conclusion, low resveratrol doses promoted in vitro muscle regeneration and attenuated the impact of ROS, while high doses augmented the reduced plasticity and metabolism induced by oxidative stress. Thus, the effects of resveratrol depend on its dose and degree of oxidative stress.

Several in vitro studies have shown that RS can exert a cytotoxic effect, including induction of mitochondrial apoptosis via mitochondrial membrane depolarization29, 30, 31. Therefore, we analysed whether the observed cytotoxic effect of RS on C2C12 myoblasts were explicable by an effect of the compound on the stability of mitochondrial membrane potential (ΔΨm). In line with the increased apoptosis (Supplementary Fig. 1) 24 h treatment with RS induced mitochondrial membrane depolarisation (UR+LR panels; Supplementary Fig. 3ai), particularly at higher doses (40 and 60 µM), and this was associated with a significant reduction of cell viability

The effects of H2O2 on mitochondrial membrane potential (ΔΨm) and its implication in the activation of the mitochondrial apoptosis cascade are well recognized

Muscle repair is a complex process that requires the coordination of several steps, starting with the activation of muscle satellite cells, to continue with myoblast proliferation, migration and withdrawal from the cell cycle

Sherlock

Regulation of Satellite Cell Function in Sarcopenia 2014
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4170136/

index.php

alex3619

I cannot speak to this repair issue but resveratrol is the only thing controlling my breathing conditions, and a lower dose does not work. I am taking 600mg twice a week, that is at T98 strength, its equivent to about 1200mg at 50% strength. This dosage may be the only reason I am still alive. I used to get regular, up to twenty times per night (usually only happened when awake if I had severe throat irritation) lung seizures and each time this meant I stopped breathing. Resveratrol stops that reaction cold. It also has many other postive effects.

Most things have a positive and negative set of factors at different doses, including vitamins. Its why megadosing can be a problem.

Nobody knows the net benefit/risk ratio, particularly for individuals as people often have lots of issues that are not average.

With a twice a week schedule I stop my breathing problems but have less risk than with a constant dose. This dose was determined empirically with one question in mind: what will fix my breathing?

If the problems start recurring or I come down with a sore throat I shift the dose to daily until the issue is resolved. Throat infections could, in theory, mean I have to take it daily for a long time. A more insidious return of the lung issue with no obvious cause (initially) can usually be traced back to forgetting to take my regular dose. Twice a week means I forget quite often.

Resveratrol shifts the Ca++/cAMP balance, altering intracellular messaging, because its a phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitor. Its not without risks, largely due to unknowns in long term treatment. However many of the secondary effects are beneficial. Its an option to try this if you are having breathing issues.

Another thing it does is make it harder to sleep, but also easier to cope with not sleeping. I also feel slightly more energized.

Sherlock

@alex3619 Sorry to hear that things have been that rough for you, Alex.

If this study result applies to humans and if aged mouse muscle is especially similar to ME muscle, then maybe it's a good idea to avoid exertion after taking the RS.

Side note: the red skins of redskin peanuts have RS, and the roots were once talked about as a cheap source.