• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

vaporized Cannabis

Nielk

Study: Vaporized Cannabis Augments The Analgesic Effects Of Opiates In Human Subjects
Written by Press Release
Friday, 11 November 2011 09:06

San Francisco, CA--(ENEWSPF)--November 11, 2011. Cannabis administration significantly
augments the analgesic effects of opiates in patients with chronic pain, according to clinical trial
data
published online in the journal Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics.
Investigators at the University of California, San Francisco assessed the use of vaporized
cannabis over a five-day period in 21 chronic pain subjects who were on a regimen of
twice-daily doses morphine or oxycodone. Participants in the trial inhaled cannabis vapor on the
evening of day 1 of the study, three times a day on days 2 through 4, and in the morning of day
5. Subjects' extent of chronic pain was assessed daily.
Researchers determined that subjects' pain "was significantly decreased after the addition of
vaporized cannabis" and surmised that cannabis-specific interventions "may allow for opioid
treatment at lower doses with fewer [patient] side effects."
They concluded: "The participants experienced less pain after 5 days of inhaling vaporized
cannabis; when the morphine and oxycodone groups were combined, this reduction in pain was
significant. This is the first human study to demonstrate that inhaled cannabis safely augments
the analgesic effects of opioids. ... These results suggest that further controlled studies of the
synergistic interaction between cannabinoids and opioids are warranted."
Full text of the study, "Cannabinoid-Opioid interaction in chronic pain," appears in Clinical
Pharmacology & Therapeutics.
Source: norml.org

mellster

Marco
Hi Nielk,

Thanks for sharing this - I know a lot of people are skeptical towards cannabis, but vaporized cannabis is extremely helpful with chronic pain. Anyone who has the chance should try it out for their chronic pain. In addition to that, it has healing effects for numerous diseases such as MS (showmaster Montel Williams has been 'close to cured' from MS by cannabis), IBS, hypertension, insomnia etc.
http://www.montelms.org/MedicalMarijuana
cheers

I can't tolerate cannibis . I think it must deplete glutathione or something for some of us. However, for some it might be great. In california, and probably other states it is very easy to get cannibis now. I think maine might have it.

Anyways, it is a matter of paying for a docotrs visit every year to get a cannibis medical card. Then you are free to go in to a shop and buy whatever variety or delivery methoed you choose. Those stores are in about every town around in California.

I would like to try some mushrooms for mood though. Maybe have to go to the amazon to try that legally I guess..

http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/16/magic-mushrooms-can-improve-psychological-health-long-term/

ixchelkali

It seems like it would be hard to do a blinded study of that, since the subjects would be able to tell pretty easily if they were getting cannabis or a placebo. That would make their reports pretty subjective. Of course, pain is pretty subjective, anyway. Maybe as long as you think you aren't in pain, it doesn't matter. (I'm not saying cannabis doesn't work, just that it would be hard to measure objectively.)

mellster

Marco
It's not just for pain, it is very helpful for insomnia as well. There have been quite a few studies done, not necessarily blinded, but with favorable results.

Eucalypta

It also depends on the kind/type of plant. There are many different kinds of Marijuana for different pains, nausea, relaxation or sleep. That's one thing they learn you when you join a local organization that will represent you and will take care of your paperwork. In Oregon we have a couple of organizations MAMA is one of them, http://www.mamas.org/Clinics.htm. The first year when I moved to Oregon and was still mobile, my dr. urged me to get a card, I joined MAMA. Your physician writes a letter and you see one of their physicians who determines if your are eligible for a card. Than you go to a State office and get your card. But the organization also gives workshops on how to make cream, tincture, bake with it, how to care for your plants if you decided to be your own supplier. They also teach you on the ways you can use it, the kind of vaporizers and the difference in plants.

LBS

Yes, Eucalypta is correct. Educating yourself on the various strains and their effects can make a huge difference in the medical experience of cannabis. I have used it for my insomnia with fairly good results, as long as I am very careful to use only certain strains. The wrong strains create anxiety and nervousness and keep me awake. I am a legal patient in California and was able to learn what I needed to know through discussions with other patients. It pays to do your homework.