• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Value of Circulating Cytokine Profiling During Submaximal Exercise Testing in MECFS

Murph

:)
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-20941-w

Value of Circulating Cytokine Profiling During Submaximal Exercise Testing in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • Scientific Reportsvolume 8, Article number: 2779 (2018)
  • doi:10.1038/s41598-018-20941-w
Received:
02 November 2017
Accepted:
26 January 2018
Published online:
09 February 2018
Abstract
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a heterogeneous syndrome in which patients often experience severe fatigue and malaise following exertion. Immune and cardiovascular dysfunction have been postulated to play a role in the pathophysiology. We therefore, examined whether cytokine profiling or cardiovascular testing following exercise would differentiate patients with ME/CFS. Twenty-four ME/CFS patients were matched to 24 sedentary controls and underwent cardiovascular and circulating immune profiling. Cardiovascular analysis included echocardiography, cardiopulmonary exercise and endothelial function testing. Cytokine and growth factor profiles were analyzed using a 51-plex Luminex bead kit at baseline and 18 hours following exercise. Cardiac structure and exercise capacity were similar between groups. Sparse partial least square discriminant analyses of cytokine profiles 18 hours post exercise offered the most reliable discrimination between ME/CFS and controls (κ = 0.62(0.34,0.84)). The most discriminatory cytokines post exercise were CD40L, platelet activator inhibitor, interleukin 1-β, interferon-α and CXCL1. In conclusion, cytokine profiling following exercise may help differentiate patients with ME/CFS from sedentary controls.

Murph

:)
Montoya has done a great job here. Full paper is online and it is a good one. He found a bunch of cytokines are different in patients vs controls after exercise.

But the best part may be his suggestion for how to test for mec/cfs in future.:

"...our study suggests that exercise may allow better discrimination of ME/CFS case status than resting values."

I think this is crucial. We need to stop investigating people at rest. We rest to make ourselves feel as normal as possible. To spot the differences we need to be investigated when we feel shit.

Most disappointing part:

"Several small studies initially suggested differences in cardiac size between ME/CFS and healthy controls3,4. Using patients well matched for level of activity, we were unable to find significant differences in cardiac structure or function in our ME/CFS cohort with regard to fitness independent measures of ventricular remodeling such as mass to volume ratio or scaled ventricular dimension. Similarly, we were unable to identify differences in vascular stiffness using central aortic pulse wave velocity or significant differences in endothelial function, peak VO2 or ventilatory efficiency. "

If the Norwegians are finding vascular problems it is a shame Montoya isn't.

gregh286

Montoya has done a great job here. Full paper is online and it is a good one. He found a bunch of cytokines are different in patients vs controls after exercise.

But the best part may be his suggestion for how to test for mec/cfs in future.:

"...our study suggests that exercise may allow better discrimination of ME/CFS case status than resting values."

I think this is crucial. We need to stop investigating people at rest. We rest to make ourselves feel as normal as possible. To spot the differences we need to be investigated when we feel shit.

Most disappointing part:

"Several small studies initially suggested differences in cardiac size between ME/CFS and healthy controls3,4. Using patients well matched for level of activity, we were unable to find significant differences in cardiac structure or function in our ME/CFS cohort with regard to fitness independent measures of ventricular remodeling such as mass to volume ratio or scaled ventricular dimension. Similarly, we were unable to identify differences in vascular stiffness using central aortic pulse wave velocity or significant differences in endothelial function, peak VO2 or ventilatory efficiency. "

If the Norwegians are finding vascular problems it is a shame Montoya isn't.

Doubt there is a vascular difference.
80mg of prednisone 2 days in a row and i can still do 5k times on day 3 not that dissimilar to 2012 pre cfs.
When pred wears off....can barely make it to the car.
WTF can make a man do that.