The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Valtrex dosage

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by mirijam, Oct 25, 2015.

1. mirijam

mirijam

Austria
    Hey guys,
    I´ve got the me/cfs diagnosis with possible ebv-activation. So I started Valtrex 4 days ago. The first two days I only took 250 mg (cut a pill in a half) and didn´t feel any side effects so far.
    Yesterday I increased it to 500 mg. After that I feel dizziness for 2 hours, but it was ok. Then I´ve got incredible tired. So tired, that it hurts, but despite of I can´t sleep.
    Therefore I have no idea what I should do now. I can´t go through this every day.
    Originally I wanted to increase the dosage to 3000 mg (according to the study´s from Dr.Lerner 4x750 mg for my body weight), but this seems to be unpossible..
    So I thougt 1500 mg per day is ok..But if I do not even can take 500 mg once, how should that work?
    Can I only take 250 mg in the morning and again 250 in the evening with any effect? Or three times 250 mg? Or is this complete pointless?
    Or should I try it with a generic or famvir?

best regards

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    @mirijam When I started on an antiviral, I upped the dose maybe every 5 days. I started very low dose, 1/2 a pill and let that settle. When I felt ok I'd go up another half tablet, sometimes 4 days later. I'd wait until I felt good. If it took a week I'd wait. And so on until I was at the dose. I had to start and stop Famvir several times because I went to fast and I was in a lot of pain. There is no rush to get on it all at one time IMO.

I can't tell you what to do but I think you are going much to fast. Even if you take a generic or Famvir you may have the same problem. So see how this works.

Clerner likes this.
  3. mirijam

mirijam

Austria
    Thank u for your response :)
    This is a good idea, I will increase it more slowly now..500 mg at once was definately too much. I felt so incredible horrible later, never want to go through this again..
    I try to take 250 mg for a few weeks now and if I´m fine and not getting this feeling again, I will increase it :)
    I am glad to hear, that this is possible..Don´t want to stop the valtrex therapy, because I felt a little improve already at the first day. That´s crazy.
    How high can u go with famvir? Is there any point u have to stop?

4. mirijam

mirijam

Austria
    And do u think that a herxheimer reaction could be possible at just 500 mg? It doesn´t felt like the typical side effects, I just felt really bad in strange way..I can´t even describe it

5. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I wonder if it is possible to get the virus "riled up" and then for the dosage not to be high enough to fight it?

Had a strange reaction to Valtrex myself in that I felt better on 500mg x 2 if taken at the SAME TIME each day than I did on 500mg x 1 or 500mg x 2 taken at different times.

6. mirijam

mirijam

Austria
    same thing with famvir. Still feel improvement, but couldn´t even tolerate ~60 mg of it.
    I despair :(

See more popular forum discussions.