1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Standing Up for Patients: An Interview with Dr. Derek Enlander
Gabby Klein considers the efforts Dr. Enlander has gone to to ensure that the reality of ME/CFS is presented to the world at large, and gives us an insight into his opinions on some current issues, including an update on the formation of an academy for ME and CFS physicians,...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Valcyte + Famvir Success with only mildly elevated titers

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by mojoey, Aug 1, 2011.

1. SOC

SOC Back to work (easy, part-time work)

USA
    We need an expert here. :D Wish we could get one.

There are so many subtle details that are hard for us laypeople to keep up with. I read a lot, but there's very little I'm sure about.

This is what I'd heard... I found it again at the HHV-6 Foundation website
    http://www.hhv-6foundation.org/research/hhv-6-testing

[My bolding]
  2. BiancaS

BiancaS

Not sure how testing is done in the US, but exactly because of the insensitivity of the antibody testing or PCR, in Germany many doctors are using the Lymphoccte Transformation Test, which basically is the level your lymphocytes are reacting to certain antigens, ie my antibodies showed that my EBV is not active, but th LTT revealed sky rocket high titers, which means that my lymphocytes are actively fighting the virus. If it was latent, the activity level would be rather low, but mine showed clearly an active fight by my immune system with the EBV virus. Here, they are treating high titers, irrespective of whether it is regarded "latent" or "active", as a high titer means that your immune system is hving a horrible time dealing with the virus and not having capacity for other fights (bacteria, parasites).
  3. SOC

SOC Back to work (easy, part-time work)

USA
    That sounds very sensible to me. I am completely mystified why the US medical community is so committed to these insensitive tests. No one has ever even mentioned LTT to me here. :rolleyes:

I look around at ME patients who are clearly sick with viruses that look like various herpes viruses but are told their tests don't support the diagnosis and I'm reminded of a line from Terry Pratchett:

I think this is Granny Ogg speaking:
    "There's no point in looking at a dog and saying it's not a dog because a dog doesn't look like that."
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Hi Bianca, the LTT you mention sounds like the lymphocyte sub set test my doc uses too. Lymphocytes are a generalised immune response to viral infections, certain lymphocytes like cd8 are common in herpes viruses.

I have also read that herpes viruses are always doing their dirty work ie trying to make us sick, so even when supposedly dormant they are actively doing something but not replicating, its when they replicate they increase the amount of virus in us and antivirals stop this replication but not stop them from trying to cause havoc in our nervous system. I suppose a very low viral load just isnt strong enough to make an impact on us(non cfs/healthy people). Long term av's are used in the hope that they burn themselves out, sort of like dieing of old age. I hope they die of old age before i do??

Cheers!!!!
  5. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

my NYC doctor told me that a very old patient of his had no elevated titres at all..i think everything was lower than normal..so he thought that was weird, that perhaps she wasn't producing antibodies..she ended up responding to acyclovir and going back to graduate school f/t and published papers and stuff. she had had CFS for 15 years i think.
  6. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Hi Daff, originally i had IgG antibodies to ebv and now i dont produce any antibodies for some reason, this loss of antibodies to ebv is also written in Oslers web, so maybe a common occurrence.

cheers!!!

See more popular forum discussions.