1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Valcyte dangers

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by saint, May 9, 2014.

1. cfsandme

cfsandme

Hi there! I don't know where to turn. I have been on the Pridgen protocol for over a month and don't feel any difference for better or worse. I know there are others on this as well but I have only seen a rare comment about someone writing much about it. If they say it worked and someone asks a follow up question I never see a response. Is there somewhere we (who are on the protocol) can get together online and swap notes. Since our doctors are only giving us what Dr. Pridgen has told them to give they really can't answer questions such as at what point did you start feeling better etc... I wish I knew more of what to expect. I know if this worked for me I would be all over the place trying to help my fellow sufferer so I'm a little concerned . ***** Saint, I just saw your note about Valcyte. I'm actually really confused because although I know there is at least one back up and from what my doctor said it sounds like two back ups the protocol that I'm on that is suppose to be the one that is getting the best results does not call for Valcyte. In fact, I have even been in touch with someone very close to Dr. Pridgen who knows the protocol well and she never mentioned valcyte. I was told and am on Celebrex and Famvir.

2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    When i first used famvir i didn't notice any great improvement for 6 months. What kept me going on it was that i didn't crash every few weeks like i was prior.

I would consider giving it more time as in a few months before coming to any conclusions. Hope this helps some.

cfsandme, SOC and Kati like this.
  3. Kati

Kati Patient in training

It would be safe to say that we are all looking for quick fixes, and sadly, it sounds like very rarely if at all it happens that way.

NK17 and heapsreal like this.
  4. Dreamer

Dreamer

I'm sorry this pridgen protocol isn't doing anything for you ( so far). Of course this is also upsetting news to me since i will be on it soon. After being sick so long and so many failed attempts to help in this illness I am pretty cynical about any dr announcing amazing results. Good luck to you and I will post any results I get from this.

cfsandme likes this.
  5. cfsandme

cfsandme

Dreamer, Please do keep us posted. We really need each other to bounce results off with.
    My doctor said the duration of time to take this combination was for 4 months however, someone closer to Dr. Pridgen said that it could take 4-6 months before you are feeling better.

It appears that Saint is doing the protocol as well but she has me confused because she said she is taking Valcyte which is not part of the main protocol. I'm not sure if she saw my question in my post above or not. Does anyone know why she mentioned Valcyte? It seems as though she went to Dr. Pridgen to get this so I'm confused unless she tried the main protocol first and it didn't work so she is doing one of the two back up protocols. If possible please let us know Saint and please let us know how your feeling and how long you have been on it. There are not too many of us talking about it so it would be nice to know.

Thanks for the hope heapsreal. I'm guessing you only took Famvir alone without the Celebrex. How much did you take and for how long? Are you better?

If anyone has any questions for me I'm an open book.

Take care,
    Hope

6. Dreamer

Dreamer

I will be contacting my dr (dr podell) tomorrow to confirm the non disclosure is done and we can move forward with the treatment. I want to be on the drugs by 7/3. Will keep you posted. Had no idea it could be 4-6 months.

7. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

I'm on my second try with Valcyte--first was for nine months, with no improvement. This time my doc added colchicine, and I've been doing a little better over the past six weeks. I've gone from lying on the couch to sitting on it. My crashes don't last as long. I would like to think that it's the drugs that are doing it, and not just random changes or the result of my devotion to staying on the couch.

NK17 likes this.
  8. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Let's hope the meds are helping. :) I think if devotion to staying on the couch was helping that much in 6 weeks, a lot of us would be a lot better than we are. ;)

9. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

I'm trying to stay on the couch even when I feel like getting up. Like bed rest but somehow more comfortable. I get my son to pick up the newspapers, etc. but since I live in a three-story house going up and down the stairs is inevitable. I've been doing it for over six months. Bored out of my mind.

Plus the changes aren't anything dramatic, and not all the time. Sitting up more. Sleeping less. A crash that felt like it could last over a week cleared in about 4 1/2 days. My mind feels clearer. My sinuses are less irritated.

I used to knit and crochet, but I had to give it up because it exacerbated my carpal tunnel syndrome and made my fingers ache. I'm going to try plaquenil as an anti-inflammatory.

NK17, Valentijn and SOC like this.
  10. cfsandme

cfsandme

I haven't heard back from Saint but I read one of her first paragraphs in this topic and noted that she is taking the generic of diflucan (I believe it is flucanozale) and I was told by my doctor and my pharmacist not to take my diflucan with the Celebrex.

Furthermore, she also said that Dr. Pridgen's protocol had her laying flat on her back so it must be doing something. My doctor pointed out that she read if my symptoms worsened after starting the protocol that I should stop the protocol and wait 7 days and restart. I had to do so anyway because my insurance company gave me issues getting Celebrex so I had to stop after taking samples and restart when I could get my script filled.

One recommendation I would make to anyone doing this protocol is keeping a daily journal. It doesn't need to be long just jot down your daily symptoms or if there is anything different each day.

I do have to say that I am feeling intense knee pain but I'm not sure if that is due to the protocol or due to stopping an MAOI I was taking. I'm hoping to see my doctor in July.

11. cfsandme

cfsandme

I know that there are only a handful of people that I can find that are doing the protocol so I was hoping to keep all of us together so I'm creating a facebook page for this topic specifically so that we can bounce things off one another and ask each other questions. If you would like to be added or know the name of this page please feel free to e-mail me at hopeful42014@yahoo dot com I hope this is ok. If not please feel free to delete my post but please let me know if it is ok to list the facebook page.

I'm hoping as a group we can come back and report amazing things to the community! If I get better you will surely know about it!

Hugs!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
  12. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @cfsandme

Yes, it is OK to give a link to the facebook page. I took the @ out of your post as it could be picked up by robots. You could also, if you like, start a private group here on Phoenix Rising. You can choose the privacy settings. Just look under groups in the top menu.

Sushi

See more popular forum discussions.