• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valcyte cost and availability. Please keep me updated.

redaxe

As Valcyte is an antiviral drug that is now commonly being prescribed to treat ME/ME-CFIDS by a range of physicians I'm thinking we need a thread to help people access the drug as affordably & reliably as possible. As I've just learned it one thing to get a diagnosis and even a doctors prescription but a whole new thing actually trying to actually get the drug for a price that doesn't require us to mortgage our homes.

Now I will mention quickly that this is not a do-it-yourself drug that you can take unsupervised. It does require close liver, kidney & blood count monitoring by a trained medical doctor.

In case you're not aware the drug has recently come of patent but there are still issues in trying to access generic brands. For instance in Australia I'm assuming that generic brands have not been approved yet as they are not available in any pharmacy store. There is also no government subsidy to cover some of the cost of the medicine.

To take the drug at a dose of 900mg twice daily as some doctors suggest can cost over $4000 per month if a patient is buying the Patent (Roche) brand. Typically Valcyte treatment duration is often continued for at least 6 months possibly 1 year. So cost is going to be a big issue for many.

Indian companies are manufacturing generic versions of the drug - Cipla produce one such brand and in some cases are selling on online pharmacies for a fraction of the price of the Patent brand. I've heard it suggested that some of these companies may have been breaching the patent laws because most Indians were unable to afford the drug at the Patent price - so there's an ethical argument there.

Anyway if you have experience with buying Valcyte and have found sources of the medicine for reasonable prices please share that information here. This may include reliable online pharmacies or buying the medicine at pharmacy shops in particular countries that market the drug at a lower cost than the US - I'd like to hear from any Canadians or Europeans on here.

The cheapest I have seen is http://www.alldaychemist.com/valgan.html as noted by PR member Heapsreal in another thread. I'm marking this thread to be specifically used by those who are using Valcyte and have found an affordable reliable source or those who are seeking help access the drug so please stay on topic.

Last edited:

ukxmrv

If you are a patient of Dr Enlander's in New York (or maybe worldwide) he can sometimes get a cheaper version of Valctye for his patients. I'm not sure how this was operating though.

I managed to buy a weeks worth of the Cipla variety and that was from alldaychemist

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
There are some generics out now, one is from a Scottish company Endone I think so maybe that is how Enlander?

You can get Cipla around but the best price is adc who recently had a 10% off sale and has reduced shipping depending on how much you spend. They are $24 (approx) for 6.

Also, if you are in the US and call them and use an echeck you get $10 off if the order is over $100 So there are ways to get the cost down further.

Last edited: