Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Vagus Nerve & Inflammation--Radio program

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Sushi, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
  2. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Just posting the blurb from the radio program here, in case helpful:

3. OverTheHills

OverTheHills

New Zealand
    This programme is very interesting - stimulation of the vagal nerve is thought to reduce TNF production and may be applicable to a whole range of diseases involving inflammation - autoimmune (inc RA), migraine and even tinnitus (as well as well-established use in refractory epilepsy). There are early human trials going on with pacemaker type devices and also some types of meditation/social interventions may increase vagal nerve activity.

It sounds good - I wonder what @Jonathan Edwards view is. Is it all hype and speculation?
    OTH

Mary, Sushi and catly like this.
  4. melamine

melamine Senior Member

Upstate NY
    I felt better than I had felt in years for not much more than two days following an EMG, part of which sends big shocks of electrical current through the soles of the feet. Wish I could have gotten lots more.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Sounds a bit weird to me. I doubt it would do that much to TNF in joints (not supplied by the vagus) and I think the electric shocks might get a bit annoying.

6. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    Somewhere recently, (if my brain worked, I could tell you where!) Dr. Ben Lynch did a blurb on Vagal nerve stimulation. He claims you can do it yourself by either gargling aggressively (until your eyes water) or activating your gag reflex repeatedly (as if I'm not already a social pariah because of ME/CFS lol).

Makes you wonder if the old wives tales of gargling for a cold virus was actually helpful because of it's effect on the Vagus nerve?

7. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

From a paper by Dr. Tracy:

8. Helen

Helen Senior Member

I haven´t read the article, but I suppose that acupuncture could be used to stimulate the vagus nerve.

Mary, melamine and Sushi like this.
  9. Sushi

Albuquerque
    I've had visceral manipulation to stimulate the vagus nerve. This stopped some symptoms completely (like OI) but only for about 2 days. :(

Sushi

Mary, Helen and melamine like this.
  10. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    Looks like we need to take up aggressive gargling!

11. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Roughly at 15 minutes, a patient with an electro-stimulator says that his throat tightens up when the stim is on. Maybe low vagal tone accounts for the odd kind of apnea that CFSers get, including me. Sometimes, I wake up with a loud breathing-in snort, but never with tachycardia. I have never been overweight.

If I press on the abdominal midline, I can feel that area does not seem right - as if it needs fingertip massage.

12. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Have you tried doing fingertip massage on yourself?

13. Sushi

Albuquerque
    No, because I don't know how to do it. Visceral manipulation requires skills I don't have.

Sushi

14. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Fogbuster likes this.
  15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Senior Member

Really, really interesting video and thread. Thanks!

It all makes sense with regards to yogi and some meditative practices involving humming and making certain sounds with the vocal chords, to improve Vagal tone it seems. Perhaps all these practices will become much less alien in our western cultures in the next 10-20 years or so.

I have used a PEMF device on my brain stem and stomach for 3 mins on each part. I feel more resistant to stress, more mentally stable if you will. It has anti anxiety and anti depressant effect. And I just feel like my cognition, being processing ability and word recall has improved in my foggy state.

Would recommend.

Mary, garcia and Never Give Up like this.
  16. Seanko

Seanko Senior Member

Swindon, UK
    Helen likes this.
  17. Violeta

Violeta Senior Member

I wish they would spend some time and money on figuring out why signals along the vagus nerve aren't working as they should and a way to fix that problem.

18. Seanko

Seanko Senior Member

Swindon, UK
    Vagus nerve stimulation has been used in treating epilepsy for a number of years & more recently with Rheumatoid Arthritis (described above). So it seems to being trialed with other auto-immune diseases.

It's interesting that Rituximab is also a treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis... I'll shut up leave informed commentary on that to @Jonathan Edwards :)

19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Vagus nerve stimulation might be as good as nurofen - if anyone tried it. I cannot see a trial on pubmed yet. Most of the papers are on rats - with the wrong type of arthritis. Not impressed so far.

Seanko likes this.
  20. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

One member here has a vagus nervus stimulator implanted.

Rrrr likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.