1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Vaccinations - any evidence?

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by TaintedLuv, Aug 14, 2014.

1. TaintedLuv

TaintedLuv

Hi,

I've posted here before about an immunologist I see (who has diagnosed me with mannose binding lectin deficiency, and is treating me for mast cell activation disorder), he has also done other immune tests and I ideally need pnuemovax ll, tetanus, hib & something else I've forgotten... I decided against the vaccines due to being highly suspicious that it was the Meningitis c vaccine that triggered me to fall ill when I was 11 years old.

I'm basically wondering if there is any evidence that a vaccination can trigger ME or not?

I'm now being asked if I'd consider just having the pnuemovax ll to see my response and whether I could then qualify to get IVIG, because my urologist feels we need to get to the bottom of my immune problems to help fight my chronic bladder wall infection (which isn't going).

I really hope this makes some sense, apologies in advance I am exhausted.

Thanks,

Becca
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    I was told I need the pneumovax challenge to figure out what is up with my immune system since my numbers show I may have CVID although the Immunologist thinks it might be a Specific Immune Deficiency. I am willing to risk the vaccine because I feel pretty horrible and I need to find out what is going on with my immune system.

@Ema has had it and I think @Misfit Toy . I'm sure there are others here.

I have gotten flu shots before and I had no problem with them so I'm hoping I won't with this. Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil to find out what is up.
    Misfit Toy, SOC and Ema like this.
  3. TaintedLuv

TaintedLuv

Thanks it's good to hear from someone in a similar position, I also feel like it's a risk I may have to take because I'm just not getting better and it's been far too many years now.

Do you mind me asking what has showed up wrong in your immune tests?
  4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    Here are my labs. I had a lot of low numbers

Immunoglobulin A 74 reference 81-463
    Immunoglobulin B 587 reference 696-1618
    Immunoglobulin M 571 reference 48-271
    Immunoglobulin G Subclass 1 287 reference 382-929
    subclass 2 268 reference 241-700
    subclass 3 17 reference 22-178
    subclass 4 6.3 reference 4-86
    immunoglobulin G Serum 547 reference 694-1618
    Immunoglobulin E 53 <114
  5. Soundthealarm21

Soundthealarm21 Senior Member

Dallas, TX
    I also had the pneumovax at the beginning of this year to see if I would respond. All of my antibody levels went up and I had a good response to it. I guess I wasn't really that nervous because I've never had a bad reaction to a vaccine ever, so i'm not in your position.

But you can put me as one of the numbers that didn't have a bad reaction, and the test was useful to my doctor.
    minkeygirl likes this.
  6. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

I don't think there's any evidence. Correlation isn't causation.
    SOC and Soundthealarm21 like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Some of us became ill right after a vaccination and have it written as a likely cause on our medical reports. The problem is that the question hasn't been effectively studied in the literature with large enough sample sizes to be meaningful.

Anecdotal yes, but I think vaccinations (in my case, a live viral vaccine) trigger the illness in more or less the same way as viruses themselves. Why? Well we don't know enough about CFS or ME to say.

The real question is not whether vaccines can trigger CFS, but rather would this pnuemovax ll vaccination would lead to a further decline in health and to be honest, no one really knows. Studies show that further immunisation of CFS patients is usually safe, but they did not explicitly test those who reacted to vaccinations in the first place.
  8. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

I've never read anything about harm from immunizations that explained, in detail, what could happen, other than allergic reactions.

Pneumovax isn't a live virus; it isn't a virus at all--it's a collection of complex sugars that naturally occur on the exterior of certain Strep bacteria. It should stimulate the immune system into making antibodies against those sugars. People sometimes get feverish and achy from immunizations, but it's evidence that your immune system is reacting normally, because immune cells are stimulated to release cytokines that cause those symptoms.
  9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, when something has been unsatisfactorily studied in either magnitude or detail.

I agree that each different type of vaccine will lead to different responses and thus potentially have different degrees of risk and outcomes.
    Iquitos, Helen and merylg like this.
  10. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    There's a few threads on the forum about the research into ME patients' reactions to flu vaccines. They've been shown to trigger an abnormal immune response of unknown duration (at least 30 days) which the researchers don't understand.

Something abnormal happens, which elicits unpleasant symptoms in the short term. It's unknown if this abnormal reaction results in more significant harm.
    SOC and Sushi like this.
  11. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

I had no problem with the vaccines. None @minkeygirl
  12. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    @Misfit Toy I'm not overly worried since I've had flu shots and never had a but you just never know. Necessary evil.
  13. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    VCIP, a US Federal program to compensate children & families injured by vaccines. The purchasers of vaccines are paying for what damage BigPharma does. 75 cents from each vaccination is paid into the fund that pays damages.

http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/index.html

1-2 years ago the family of a child who developed austism after vaccination was paid compensation for that austism damage. There are several hundred claims paid each year, not necessarily for autism, but for vaccine damage.

"As of 2005, the British government had paid out £3.5 million to vaccine injury patients since 1997." (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_injury )
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.