• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UTV Magazine: Michelle Cowan: Severe ME: 29 April 2014

Firestormm

What struck me about this news item was that we seldom really hear about the cognitive challenges many of us face - at least not in the way this item has presented them or in the way that Michelle was able to overcome much of them (she received an award for overcoming learning difficulties and something to do with using the computer).

ME is not recognised generally I don't believe as resulting in learning difficulties - but it bloody does as I can testify only too well. And I have also been fortunate in being slowly able over several years to build up my ability to read and to write again.

Also note that Michelle is now blind. I don't know if I am correct or not - but she wasn't blind before getting ME at the age of 15, 'out of the blue' as I think her Mum commented, though it wasn't clear if the blindness was a result of the ME.

I'll watch again tomorrow I think when I am more able. But it was a brilliant item I thought :)

Thanks to @Tom Kindlon for featuring it on Co-cure earlier today :)

Last edited: