1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Utility of a New Remote-mobile Technology Intervention (ASARM) for CFS/ME in a Paediatric Population

Discussion in 'Active Clinical Studies' started by Dolphin, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Note that I shortened the title to get it to fit

Esther12 likes this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

No control group is a pain - and they seem to be working to avoid turning this into an assessment of whether CBT is genuinely helpful in increasing 'energy' or not. Not to sure what the "complex psychosocial presentations" exclusion is about - why would that make the use of this device a particular problem? I've not seen that exclusion on CBT studies before, and there is a danger that this would allow them to just select those patient that they they are most likely to improve regardless of treatment.

This sort of thing just sounds funny to me - health professionals are assumed to know rather a lot about 'energy', how to create it and manage it:

Valentijn and Dolphin like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    More symptoms = more "complex" ... so the sicker you are with ME, the crazier you must be, according to their warped rationale. Thus they're almost certainly excluding moderate and severe ME patients, and maybe mild as well. It's a fatigue study.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

That's what psych treatment studies are all about. Also no control groups. It's a scam. Why can psych studies get away with this? Homeopathy etc. can't get away with it.

But maybe I'm being too hard. At least they are using an actigraph rather than just questionnaires!

Read: we start from the assumption that there is no organic problem causing low energy levels, and that therefore, the low energy level must be a result of cognitive or behavioural factors, and that therefore, low energy levels can be treated with behavioural and cognitive interventions. In other words: patients need someone else to tell them how much they should do, because they are utterly incapable of figuring it out themselves. Does psychology merely exist to stroke the ego of psychologists?
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    Snowdrop, Valentijn and chipmunk1 like this.
  5. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

It exists because it came to existence one day and like in any organism self-preservation comes before anything else.

See more popular forum discussions.