1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Fable known as The PACE Trial
Graham, Janelle and Bob, have once again excelled themselves with their latest take on the 'poisoned apple' that was the PACE Trial...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Using the Brain to Fight Fatigue

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Cort, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    From a New York Times Article http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/going-all-out/

Interesting article on how the brain appears (subconsciously) to effect muscle activity.

Reward works! It actually relaxes the muscles; they didn't feel less fatigue but their muscles could actually work harder- the brain relaxed the muscles. Could the brains of ME/CFS patients be saying STOP! all the time?

Dr. Light's thesis in a nutshell - but he thinks he's uncovered evidence that this part is totally screwed up in ME/CFS.

There is evidence of reduced neural input to the muscles in CFS; another study with no (or little) followup - a frigging crime.

“I think the training effect of this theory is potentially very profound,” Tucker says. “Training is no longer simply an act of getting the muscles used to lactate or teaching the lungs how to breathe harder.” It’s also about getting your brain to accept new limits by pushing yourself, safely. “Once your brain recognizes that you’re not going to damage yourself,” Foster says, “it’ll be happy to let you go.”

My sense with myself is that my brain is saying No! again and again. It basically constricts my muscles - freezes them up.

Magnify this theory a couple of magnitude and I wonder if you find a model for ME/CFS.
  2. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Sounds like, doesn't it.

Psychoneuroimmunology coming into play here.
  3. ChuckG

ChuckG

When I was running trail races (distances to 100 miles) I regularly used will power to countermand fatigue signals generated when muscle glycogen was almost all gone. If one learns to listen their body they can develop a feel for approaching muscle glycogen depletion.

And when liver glycogen is running out and the blood glucose level starts to fall one can also detect it in one's brain. And one can use will power to over rule the increasingly frantic signal sent out by the brain to cease all non-essential activity!

Google Julie Moss

With the onset of CFIDS I have detected the muscle fatigue signal when there is absolutely no reason for fatigue. Think defective mitochondria.

With the onset of CFIDS I have detected the brain fatigue signal when there is absolutely no reason for fatigue. Think defective mitochondria.

See more popular forum discussions.