Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Using gene expression signatures to identify novel treatment strategies in gulf war illness

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Bob, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Open Access.

I came across this via Tom Kindlon on Twitter.

This has an extra element of interest for us, because I believe that Klimas and Broderick are using the same research techniques for ME/CFS, albeit with limited funds. They're trying to find drugs that can be repurposed for GWI illness in this paper, and ME/CFS in other similar research. There is a video, elsewhere on the forum, in which Nancy Klimas discusses this research.

Using gene expression signatures to identify novel treatment strategies in gulf war illness
    Travis J.A. Craddock, Jeanna M. Harvey, Lubov Nathanson, Zachary M. Barnes, Nancy G. Klimas, Mary Ann Fletcher and Gordon Broderick
    9 July 2015
    BMC Medical Genomics 2015, 8:36
    doi:10.1186/s12920-015-0111-3
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/1755-8794/8/36/

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    Sasha, Kati, catly and 7 others like this.
  2. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    Fascinating and inspiring charts from the study. Looks like Klimas et al are hard at work determining the direction of future drug trials based on other known diseases with similar gene expression. There’s so much information here!

s12920-015-0111-3-3.jpg

s12920-015-0111-3-2.jpg

Sasha, Kati, SOC and 5 others like this.
  3. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    This is a fascinating, perhaps brilliant approach.
    Full marks for using sedentary controls but I do wonder if such a small sample size can support those findings.

Sasha, SDSue, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    lycaena, Sasha, SDSue and 3 others like this.
  5. SOC

SOC

Wish I had the slightest clue what any of those figures mean. I'm very impressed by them, though... whatever they mean. :p

catly, Sasha, bertiedog and 2 others like this.
  6. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    What a great concept - there are doctors who understand more about this illness than we do! - quite a change from our normal experiences with doctors, I’d guess! ;)

SOC, Sasha and Kati like this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Anyone know how these sorts of graphics were generated (the network ones)? They look quite nice!

8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Klimas revealed a while back that this kind of approach indicated a candidate drug therapy for ME/CFS. Five years and I think eight grant applications later she is still looking for funding.

SOC, Sasha, Bob and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.