• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Using a wheelchair.

Are you using a wheelchair? At what point did you decide that is a time for a wheelchair? How hard emotionally was to make that decision? How your family reacted?
I know that a wheelchair is just a tool but I have a hard time to accept that I need one.

taniaaust1

Yes I use a wheelchair when taken out. I decided it was time for when when I started collapsing in the supermarket which causes a lot of drama. It was VERY HARD emotionally making that decison so things had got quite exteme before I did. It had got to the point where I literally couldnt do things without one.

My family was completely fine about this.

It is very hard accepting one has to use a wheelchair. I wish I'd had someone helping me come to terms with needing one way before things went how they did. My disability support agency was against me having one even when it got to the point where it had become essential. I had to get 3 different doctors backing I needed one before they paid any attention to that.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I use a wheelchair all the time outside and sometimes inside. It took me two years of missing out on family days out etc before i decided to try one. I didnt find it hard emotionally - it was very liberating, but my family did.

It took them quite a few years to get used to it - also husband having to push was hard at first.

Ive just bought an electric wheelchair for going out - although my condition is worse these days and i dont go out often. But im trying to regain some Independence and dignity so bought an electric chair and getting my car fitted with a hoist so i can get it in and out also.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
If you're missing out on things and using a wheelchair will allow you do to more, go for it! Using a wheelchair may make you look more disabled and that might make you feel more disabled. But appearances can be deceiving because using a wheelchair actually makes you much less disabled because you can go out and do more.

Sundancer

I've just bought me a wheelchair, my trip to the bank would have been nearly impossible without. I was so happy with it, I could concentrate on what the lady said, had no PEM afterwards and I was out, after months of being totally housebound.

I plan on trying to get some sort of electrified wheelchair or scootmobile so that 'll be able to get out again by myself.

It was hard for me to buy it, it felt like this is the end, it was an emotional hurdle. But it is not. I will go on trying to improve my health but ( as long as I can find someone to push) i have a possibility to go out now. So, it's not the end but a beginning

added plus, the ladies who come over here for getting some blood off me, never wonder if I'm really ill anymore....;):rofl:

just lovely