• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Used 23andMe to run Genetic Genie–have NO idea what to do now…

Can anyone give me some suggestions? @Valentijn , @alicec or @Sea ?
Are there other programs I should run to help people help me? I've been trying to read more (though it's currently the end of the semester, so I'm swamped grading papers).
The MAO, 2 MTHFRs, and the BHMTs look bad.
Any assistance at supplements I should take would be VERY appreciated!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

alicec

The MAO, 2 MTHFRs, and the BHMTs look bad.

Not really. The MAO has no effect, see here for some discussion of that SNP.

The MTHFR A1298C does result in a small slowing of the enzyme. A small amount of methyl folate might be helpful, also B2 is a co-factor for the enzyme so make sure your intake is adequate.

The 3rd BHMT has a very small effect, the other two do nothing.

The first COMT definitely slows the enzyme but +/- would have a small effect. Magnesium is the co-factor so supplementation (which is good for many other reasons) may help to stimulate a sluggish enzyme. The second COMT does nothing.

The three MTRR SNPs potentially do something. You can tell this by the names - H595Y, meaning histidine at position 595 is changed to tyrosine, K350A, meaning lysine at position 350 is changed to alanine and R415T, meaning arginine at position 415 is changed to threonine.

In other words there is a change to the structure of the protein made by the gene.

I now have to rely on memory as to how significant these changes are and I can't remember!. I have just had a terrible computer virus which destroys the motherboard (it is so new that it gets under the radar of all current anti-virus software). I have recovered my data but it is still quarantined till we know more about this virus so I don't have access to my records.

There is a thread on MTRR here which may be helpful. In any case a doubt that +/- will have a dramatic effect. Some supplementation with methyl B12 may be helpful.

I can't remember about the ACAT 1 SNP but you can google it.

There are other programs which give more information, eg Promethease and MTHFR support. With any of them you can't just rely on what they say, nor assume that because a variant SNP has been identified that it necessarily has any effect.

Promethease does rank identified SNPs based on research plus it is searchable for any gene you may be interested in. MTHFR support also give links to research, but unfortunately there is no shortcut to evaluating research about SNPs yourself.

There is quite a bit of info on PR if you go through threads in the genetic testing forum.

Thank you so much!! It appears all that red and yellow isn't as bad as I'd imagined. But I do have some "Deplin" and/or methyl-B12 I can take, and I'll look into B2.
I know magnesium is good, but I hate the taste of the stuff I bought (a powder you mix with water). Will look into a tablet.
Thanks again!!!

The three MTRR SNPs potentially do something. You can tell this by the names - H595Y, meaning histidine at position 595 is changed to tyrosine, K350A, meaning lysine at position 350 is changed to alanine and R415T, meaning arginine at position 415 is changed to threonine.

In other words there is a change to the structure of the protein made by the gene.

I now have to rely on memory as to how significant these changes are and I can't remember!. I have just had a terrible computer virus which destroys the motherboard (it is so new that it gets under the radar of all current anti-virus software). I have recovered my data but it is still quarantined till we know more about this virus so I don't have access to my records.
My notes on what I found in the research say that H595Y +/- is associated with a x1.5 increase in some risk. The other two are associated with x1.98 (R415C) and x3.0 (K350A) increase in some risk when homozygous, but untested or with no risk at all in their heterozygous form.

My notes also say that K350A and H595Y are in very high linkage disequilibrium, meaning that nearly everyone will always be +/+ for both, -/- for both, or +/- for both. Hence they're redundant when looking at effects, and will not have an additive effect. So it's most useful to treat them as a single SNP having only the effect attributed to one SNP.

So @whatgorilla is effectively only +/- for two of the MTRR SNPs, both of which have little or no impact when heterozygous.
There is a thread on MTRR here which may be helpful. In any case a doubt that +/- will have a dramatic effect. Some supplementation with methyl B12 may be helpful.
Agreed. These are mutations which can (and probably do) have an impact, but it's going to be a pretty mild down-regulation.