Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

US folks, Check for unclaimed funds!

Discussion in 'Finances, Work, and Disability' started by Dainty, May 8, 2017.

1. Dainty

Dainty Senior Member

Seattle
    I wanted to point everyone to this resource, which lists various non-scammy places you might find money owed you and be able to claim it: https://www.usa.gov/unclaimed-money

I didn't have any, but I found an unspecified "over $100" amount for both a family member and a friend, I'll know more if/when they file the claims to get it.

It's pretty easy to search for your name in every state where you've lived, and if your name has changed use all names you have gone by. You might get some money!

PatJ, Valentijn, barbc56 and 3 others like this.
  2. confetti11

confetti11 Senior Member

Thanks! I just found $92! I've checked these before and never found anything!

Valentijn, barbc56 and Dainty like this.
  3. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Over the years I've found money about 3 times--once it was several hundred dollars! If you have deceased relatives, check their names too--the funds are collectible by their executor.

barbc56 and Dainty like this.
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    I checked ours here in Canada last month but there was no lost money for me. But I did find a few for my sister-in-law's family. :)

barbc56 likes this.
  5. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

I think I found $168. If it comes through, I'm going to have a nice dinner at a new restaurant a couple blocks away.

Thanks @Dainty

Dainty, barbc56, Sushi and 1 other person like this.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Years ago, a friend told me they saw my name on one of these lists. It was in the legal section of our local newspaper. I ended up with $75.00. Unfortunately, it was so long ago, I can't remember the source of the money.

I've also received checks from retail stores where there were lawsuits for trade infringement.

Not to be negative, but I wonder if there are scams related to this. I did not have to sign up for anything. I just got checks in the mail with an explanation. I think one time a credit. These were well known stores but I hesitate to name them.:rolleyes:

Thanks @Dainty !

Edit. I can't figure out if this site also includes state tax refunds.

Edit. On the second page there are other sources. Some are by state.

Edit again. I just found money for my daughter. Under $100 but every bit counts. Should I charge her a finders fee?

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Valentijn, Dainty and Sushi like this.
  7. Sushi

Albuquerque
    I just found $50 - $100 that I can claim if I submit a bunch of documents--guess that's a plus and a minus! Reward but work.

Valentijn, Dainty and barbc56 like this.
  8. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

$25-$50 refund coming to me from a health clinic back in Seattle :woot: Also found a couple childhood friends owed $100+, an aunt owed an unknown insurance premium refund, and another aunt and 2 uncles I'm not in contact with who each have claims totaling $2,000-$3,000. And some other relatives with fairly small change.

I also found out my grandmother died 3 years ago, who I haven't seen since I was a little kid :( Though we did write letters and she used to send me cards when I was a teenager.

I used my cellphone to take photos of my passport and an old medical bill sent to the relevant address to submit online with the claim. Not too hard.

Dainty likes this.
  9. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Great finds! Mine needs more work as it is from my father, my brother was his executor, my brother died and I was his executor! They want all sorts of documents including my mother's death certificate.

Valentijn likes this.
  10. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

Valentijn and Dainty like this.

See more popular forum discussions.