• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

US: DISASTROUS SEN. DURBIN ANTI-SUPPLEMENT AMENDMENT WILL BE OFFERED WITHIN HOURS!

TheMoonIsBlue

I couldn't tell either. I think so????!! Confused..

Now talking about voting for letting Americans buyer cheaper drugs from Canada....Sen. McCain just spoke....which has been voted down time and time again I believe.

TheMoonIsBlue

So what happened? I am watching online, can't see any votes. I think the final vote on the Durbin bill is yet to come?

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I thought Durbin passed but I was thinking the opposite from the votes. Alliance for Natural Health on Facebook said he was defeated AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Health Freedom Update: Today on the Senate Floor
By: Beth Clay
May 24th, 2012

A new strategy has presented itself by Senator Harkin on how to reject both the Paul Amendment (and the Durbin Amendment). He moved to table the amendment(s) (stating on the record that the bill is focused on drugs and devices not supplements).

He did say that the following organizations oppose the Paul Amendment:
  • Natural Products Association
  • United Natural Products Association
  • Council for Responsible Nutrition
Senator Paul countered with comments and an urge for support.

A vote was called to ‘table the Paul Amendment’ at 1:57pm. 78 to 15 the motion to table was victorious. 15 senators voted against tabling. Senator Hatch actually switched his vote from no to yes on tabling. Senator Lee of Utah voted with Senators Paul, DeMint of South Carolina and Coburn of Oklahoma did as well.

One could say a vote to table the Paul Amendment is a protective measure in order to vote to table the Durbin amendment. However, Senator Harkin repeated his adamant opposition to Senator Paul’s suggestions and now has three major trade associations opposing them.

At 2:53pm a short debate on Senator Durbin’s amendment and Senator Harkin stood in opposition stating that ‘we addressed these issues in the food safety bill 2 years ago.' Senator Hatch stood and strongly opposed this amendment and asked his colleagues vote with him to table amendment. At 2:57pm a vote to table the Durbin Amendment was called. The vote to table was 77 voting yes and 20 voting no. The amendment was tabled. Senators Boxer, Reid, Cardin, and Franken were among those that voted with Sen. Durbin.

What does this all mean for the health freedom community and the dietary supplement industry? It means that we didn’t win and we didn’t lose. One thing is clear, there are different goals and priorities within the community. The NPA, UNPA and CRN have now gone so mainstream and given the appearance in this issue of only wanting to protect DSHEA. While that is some cases is laudable, what Senator Paul is seeking to do is takes us past DSHEA and the compromises made in 1994 and back towards liberty. For a long time that constitutional guarantees have been compromised in the food/supplement industry in ways that are more restrictive than other industries. Senator Paul has laid an interesting framework for future legislation and Senator Durbin has shown that he truly wants pre-market approval required for supplements.

What is next? Once the final FDA bill is passed in the Senate, there will be a conference with the House on their Bill where they merge their bills. We will have to watch closely to make sure nothing gets slipped in from Durbin or others.

The telephone calls generated made a huge differencing in getting folks to look for a solution. The only solution appeared to be to block both Senators Paul and Durbin.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
It was very sad watching Senator Rand Paul make a wonderful speech and then get tabled. But having Durbin get blocked AGAIN was wonderful.

Yes, 90,000 calls to Senators and petitions etc... in 24 hours. Before that, we have all been working for six months....

roxie60

Thanks Rand Paul for standing up against the establishment government thugs (short sighted idiots) once again. I hope you get another chance and that liberty and freedom to access what we need with out the government telling us what we need (like they have a record of having insight and good judgement on what is good 'for the people' in the last 60 yrs). I can't say what I want to say about my onerous Senator Durbin, cant wait til he is gone but IL will just send another politica hack in his place. Sorry, not in a good mood today and most of what Congress does makes me furious.