• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(US) Brain donation - Brain Donor project

Lolo

I'd gladly donate my brain and my body if it helps others. It seems that pwme can't donate organs. The universities here accept bodies but not very many and then there are conditions. Maybe I should contact Griffith as they are doing CFS research.

My brain is officially dedicated to science (for ME). I returned the paperwork to Univ of Maryland today.

It feels so good knowing I might be able to help everyone one day.

There were about 10-15 pages to read through, fill out, or sign. It took me two sessions, but manageable.

Again, knowing what incredible breakthroughs have come from previous autopsies on pwME, I hope others will join me! I truly believe this is one way for us to get one step closer to a cure.

TiredBill

How do people with ME/CFS answer the question:

Has the donor ever been diagnosed with a disorder affecting the brain?

That's a "yes," right? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but my brain is a little....

Donating my brain [hopefully a long time from now] is something I have thought about and wondered about for a long time.

I'm glad this thread was bumped as I was unaware of this opportunity.

Bill

How do people with ME/CFS answer the question:

Has the donor ever been diagnosed with a disorder affecting the brain?

That's a "yes," right? Sorry if that's

I answered this as "Yes," as we know with ME other autopsies have shown viral remnants in the brain and other neurodegeneration markers (damage) in the brain. I hope it helps. 🙏

Also, I'm so happy you also decided to participate too (a long time from now). Same here. 😊