• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

urine smells like vinegar-dumping sulfur?

Hi oh wise ones:)
Short version, I have cbs++ snp and no sulfite on test strips but show high sulfates on 24 hr urine and on oats test. I am trying some Neurotransmitter repair that requires cysteine. My ph is low and and on the Diabetic urine test strips I have trace amounts of protein and, low ph and high billirubin. I have had the urine vinegar smell before but never consistent until then. I have stopped the repair program but still have the billirubin and protein but no smell. COULD I BE DUMPING STORED SULFUR ACIDS.

Thanks
Dfox

greenshots

It could depend on whether you have too much ammonia (think NOS, CBS, MTHFR A1298c, or a SUOX/MTRR defect that interfere with sulfite and sulfate). Did you have the whole panel done? Are you on a higher protein diet? You wanna think about whether you have symptoms of high ammonia like brain fog, headaches, fruity or alcohol breath, etc. Plus, if you're diabetic that also changes kidney clearance.

Thanks so very much Angela. I have read some of your posts in the past, and have put in a call to your doctor. Is she really helping people, sounds like it? Yes, I am doing a higher protein diet right now, because the carbs affect my blood sugar. (I also have a somewhat crazy LLMD here who said don't eat sulfur, limit meat, and eat no starches; what's left. I am not full fledged diabetic yet, but have blood sugar instability with my GAD65 auto-antibodies coming and going? Oh antibodies!!!! I never have the fruity or alcohol breath, but only the urine, and sometimes my armpit. I appreciate your knowledge and help.

Thanks, Debbie

It could depend on whether you have too much ammonia (think NOS, CBS, MTHFR A1298c, or a SUOX/MTRR defect that interfere with sulfite and sulfate). Did you have the whole panel done? Are you on a higher protein diet? You wanna think about whether you have symptoms of high ammonia like brain fog, headaches, fruity or alcohol breath, etc. Plus, if you're diabetic that also changes kidney clearance.

Angela, I just came across this you tube from the 2012 autoimmunity conference. It talks about the association with the VDR gene. This may be old news, but I thought I would post it?

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1060869938

Thanks, Debbie

greenshots

Thanks so very much Angela. I have read some of your posts in the past, and have put in a call to your doctor. Is she really helping people, sounds like it? Yes, I am doing a higher protein diet right now, because the carbs affect my blood sugar. (I also have a somewhat crazy LLMD here who said don't eat sulfur, limit meat, and eat no starches; what's left. I am not full fledged diabetic yet, but have blood sugar instability with my GAD65 auto-antibodies coming and going? Oh antibodies!!!! I never have the fruity or alcohol breath, but only the urine, and sometimes my armpit. I appreciate your knowledge and help.

Thanks, Debbie

My doc has been a blessing for many but my fears came true this year cuz she closed her practice for the time being. I'm not sure when she'll be up and running again but her asst said maybe this fall. I hope so! I understand me and my family's genes and our triggers but everyone is so different that it really takes someone who can see the whole picture. Anyway, if you called, her asst will get back to you at some point but I've found emails to be much faster. Renee only worked in the office 1-2 days a week last year since technology allows her to do most stuff from home. I know she also takes care of her in-laws who have alotta complicated health problems. I don't know her email offhand but their website is www.autismnti.com and maybe they have a waiting list?

The VDR stuff makes sense since this gene also affects macrophages, an important immune cell.[/quote]

Hi
Is there a list of symptoms, (though I realize since can involve so many permiatations of diff ++,--SNPs, can have same sympt for diff snps).
Though might have MTHFR diff when friend told me she was tested and I had mentioned usually cant take meds or I cut them in forths if ok w pharm.She thought I might have problems with MTHFR also. Then read of CBS, SOUX, COMT, NOS,...
Havnt been tested yet, was going to try 23andme.com I asked them why dont do SOUX,NOS...
Do sometimes in last 2-3 yeears smell ammonia on me, but drinking more water helps, eating less protein (trying to gain wieght). Cant do sulfured fruit (asthma). Improving digestion on SCD diet. Did help w brain fog for taking MB12 but seemed to be addicted to it as needed more and more then had to stop. and take 1 drop subling of liq. sometime. See there are test strips for sulfer and sulfite on Amazon , are those what people are using to see if thats a problem? I do ok I think w sulfer foods unless like last week felt weird and more tired after making soup w cabage,onions,chicken for days (also added beet greens which once felt sick after.
Would be so nice to have more energy and brain power that used to have.
Any suggestion for areas to look into?
Thanks

caledonia

Hi oh wise ones:)
Short version, I have cbs++ snp and no sulfite on test strips but show high sulfates on 24 hr urine and on oats test. I am trying some Neurotransmitter repair that requires cysteine. My ph is low and and on the Diabetic urine test strips I have trace amounts of protein and, low ph and high billirubin. I have had the urine vinegar smell before but never consistent until then. I have stopped the repair program but still have the billirubin and protein but no smell. COULD I BE DUMPING STORED SULFUR ACIDS.

Thanks
Dfox

When I was dumping sulfur I was getting a very noticeable sulfurous smell via the feces. I don't remember any sort of urine smell. I occasionally get a skunky smell in the armpit sweat. I've had this before I tried sulfur detox though, so I think it's just a sign of general detox.

caledonia

Hi
Is there a list of symptoms, (though I realize since can involve so many permiatations of diff ++,--SNPs, can have same sympt for diff snps).
Though might have MTHFR diff when friend told me she was tested and I had mentioned usually cant take meds or I cut them in forths if ok w pharm.She thought I might have problems with MTHFR also. Then read of CBS, SOUX, COMT, NOS,...
Havnt been tested yet, was going to try 23andme.com I asked them why dont do SOUX,NOS...
Do sometimes in last 2-3 yeears smell ammonia on me, but drinking more water helps, eating less protein (trying to gain wieght). Cant do sulfured fruit (asthma). Improving digestion on SCD diet. Did help w brain fog for taking MB12 but seemed to be addicted to it as needed more and more then had to stop. and take 1 drop subling of liq. sometime. See there are test strips for sulfer and sulfite on Amazon , are those what people are using to see if thats a problem? I do ok I think w sulfer foods unless like last week felt weird and more tired after making soup w cabage,onions,chicken for days (also added beet greens which once felt sick after.
Would be so nice to have more energy and brain power that used to have.
Any suggestion for areas to look into?
Thanks

If you have any of these, suspect methylation problems. Most of us on here can check off several:
Aging
Allergic reactions
Alzheimer’s
Anxiety
Arthritis
Autism
Bipolar disorder
Bowel dysfunction
Cancer
Chronic bacterial infections
Chronic viral infections
Cytoskeletal breakdown
Depression
Diabetes
Down’s syndrome
Fibromyalgia
Heart disease
Herpes
Huntington’s disease
Language and cognition impairment
Leaky gut
Leaky gut syndrome
ME/CFS
Metal toxicity
Miscarriage
Mitochondrial disease
Neural tube defects
Pneumonia
Psoriasis
Renal failure
Rett’s syndrome
Schizophrenia
Seizures
Sleep disorders
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
Thyroid dysfunction

The SNPs are potentials and may or may not be activated. You can tell for sure by taking the HDRI Methylation Panel which is a functional test of your methylation. The value of the SNPs is for treatment after you've determined that you do have a methylation problem.

If you have any of these, suspect methylation problems. Most of us on here can check off several:
Aging
Allergic reactions
Alzheimer’s
Anxiety
Arthritis
Autism
Bipolar disorder
Bowel dysfunction
Cancer
Chronic bacterial infections
Chronic viral infections
Cytoskeletal breakdown
Depression
Diabetes
Down’s syndrome
Fibromyalgia
Heart disease
Herpes
Huntington’s disease
Language and cognition impairment
Leaky gut
Leaky gut syndrome
ME/CFS
Metal toxicity
Miscarriage
Mitochondrial disease
Neural tube defects
Pneumonia
Psoriasis
Renal failure
Rett’s syndrome
Schizophrenia
Seizures
Sleep disorders
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
Thyroid dysfunction

The SNPs are potentials and may or may not be activated. You can tell for sure by taking the HDRI Methylation Panel which is a functional test of your methylation. The value of the SNPs is for treatment after you've determined that you do have a methylation problem.

Hi Caledonia, You're a gem for helping us newbies. Can you order the HDRI methylation yourself, and or suggest anyone who can read it. I have an apt next week with a big medical center ID doctor here. It's probably a bad idea, but I have gotten really desperate, as I can't function at all anymore. I am now having issues with my kidneys/liver in that my Diatech urine tests strips show protein now in my urine, and bilirubin. I have borderline type 1.5 with my antibodies to GAD65 coming and going. I counseled with one of Amy Yasko's guru's but it did not go well. Desperate for answers.

Thanks so VERY much,
Dfox

Caledonia
Thank you for the MTHFR list. sounds like half the people I know, seems to be a common problem.
What about the CBS and other SNP's?
Will ask the HDRI place if they know a Dr in my area.
Did have the B12 and folic acid tests(think serum or maybe RBC) always in ok or high folic acid.
Head felt like a dry pillow had been put in top of brain today. Water helped and a charcoal.
Thanks for all the links will try a few at a time. Seem to be reacting to computer, hand pain, started wearing gloves last
week and way reduced, now brain pain. Am getting a meter to test the house for EMF, af radio showed plug strips loud and also computer mouse......sewing machine, light switches.
Someone just sent me this - http://chronicdiseasetalk.wordpress.com/
Dfox I had just purchase some 11 parameter urine test strips and last week high specific gravity,ketones.
Today, twice, next up from negative in blirubin and protein, no vite C even though took part of MV today.
bought them to see if help figure why started up iritated urethta last 2 months9all Dr testing before no UTI's, maybe its the foods that irritate. Is so beuatiful going out after next job for a break!
Thanks

Lynn D