• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Urine smells funny with niacinamide?

PeterPositive

Occasionally I take an extra 100-200mg of niacinamide (Source Naturals) and I've noticed that if I go on for 2-3 days my pee reeks.

It has a stronger, pungent smell, very acidic in nature and it seems dose dependent. With 200mg it is more evident.

Normal or am I going to turn green and light up the room at night? :alien: :lol:

cheers

GhostGum

Normal, although are you sure it is just your pee and not your poop as well? I have noticed this more with the latter I think but I could be wrong of course and just noticed it more while sitting down. Talk about tmi :eek:

I have found when I have taken that much niacinamide that I notice the smell it is generally too much, because the smell tends to go along with a feeling of overdoing it, slight toxic/off feeling. I would probably get the dose right where there is no smell, a day off here and there, but I am not sure it matters? Depends what you can tolerate and what works for you I guess.

sregan

There is some literature on B3 being used for detox. Specifically to release toxins from fat deposits. Ron Hubbard of Scientology fame has a complete program based around Niacin. Not sure if Niacinamide will do the same but what you smell could be toxins released into the blood stream from the Niacinamide