• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

urine amino acid test options

I could probably do a search for some labs myself but I am wondering if anyone here knows a good source for a urine amino acid test? Also do you think the "random" or "24 hour" is a better measure of levels? Also, what is the cost for this kind of test?

Jarod

Hi pgoody

Looks like your are digging up some good stuff.

I just clicked on your link and found this little paragraph about a customized formula Metamatrix will recommend based on ones results. Sounds pretty cool to get the test and formula to fit if it is not too much. I wonder how good they are with predicting what we need, and how often they suggest retesting?

A formula for a customized amino acid blend, based on your patient's specific test results, is provided with every plasma amino acid test result. These customized amino acid formulations provide appropriate amounts of essential and conditionally essential amino acids, delivered in a balanced ratio to offset the risk of imbalance sometimes seen with the use of single amino acid supplements. This blend can be made by many compounding pharmacies.

I know that glycine and arginine give me trouble.

I'd be interested in knowing what the test costs too if you don't mind posting if you find out.

Jarod

Yes, it looks like they give you a sort of recommended amino acid intake depending on your results. That's what I saw at the end of the sample report I think. Here was another interesting thing I pulled up from their site. This link talks a bit about possible reasons behind high or low levels and how to confront those issues: (http://www.metametrix.com/files/test-menu/interpretive-guides/Amino-Acids-IG.pdf) I was looking into Doctor's Data for a urine amino acid test and there's runs close to or a bit over $300, which is a bit hard on the wallet. Hopefully I will find something reliable for much less than that. Honestly all I am looking for is a urine analysis of glutamate and aspartate, but I guess that these tests are like cable TV, I get a bunch of junk channels when all I want is ESPN (jk, I would actually want more channels than that). Plus maybe there will some other indicator in my results that I didn't know about. I will let you know as soon as I find something. There seems to be a lot of posts about this subject on this forum :)

This post seems to be the most informative about lab options other than metametrix, doctorsdata, and genova.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...e-extension-as-compared-to-direct-labs.11649/

I checked the links from these posts and the cheapest test was the blood test mentioned in the original post from Dr. Vitamin Solutions which was 137 buckaroos. There appears to be 3 types; urine, plasma, and blood. I read on one post that plasma was a better test than urine, but the article I read about excess glutamate in people with OCD talked specifically about a urine analysis.

Here was the cheapest plasma amino acid test I found yet ($199). http://www.labsmd.com/tests.phpview=search_results&show=874&category=14&search=amino%20acid#874

Tomorrow I will find out more about the Metametrix and Genova tests.

Jarod

Yes, it looks like they give you a sort of recommended amino acid intake depending on your results. That's what I saw at the end of the sample report I think. Here was another interesting thing I pulled up from their site. This link talks a bit about possible reasons behind high or low levels and how to confront those issues: (http://www.metametrix.com/files/test-menu/interpretive-guides/Amino-Acids-IG.pdf) I was looking into Doctor's Data for a urine amino acid test and there's runs close to or a bit over $300, which is a bit hard on the wallet. Hopefully I will find something reliable for much less than that. Honestly all I am looking for is a urine analysis of glutamate and aspartate, but I guess that these tests are like cable TV, I get a bunch of junk channels when all I want is ESPN (jk, I would actually want more channels than that). Plus maybe there will some other indicator in my results that I didn't know about. I will let you know as soon as I find something. There seems to be a lot of posts about this subject on this forum :)

Ya good stuff in that chart. The interventions are kind of telling because I know I benefit from some of those vitamins already. Maybe it explains why I'm benefitting.

You probably know about this already, but I guess the balance of these aminos is important because they combine to create sulfate and other downstream stuff also.

$300 ouch. I might futz around a little first and see if I can get my stomach to digest some of the stuff without having to supplement it.

I get terrible problems with the Monosodium Glutamate, and glycine etc. Be interesting to know how similar the solutions are to our diseases. I think the glutamate is a signal for that EAAT3 receptor, and maybe if the cysteine is not there, we are screwed? Not sure how all that interacts with the snps etc..

Know what you mean about cable channels, got to upgrade to get one or two good ones.

Jarod

Ya good stuff in that chart. The interventions are kind of telling because I know I benefit from some of those vitamins already. Maybe it explains why I'm benefitting.

You probably know about this already, but I guess the balance of these aminos is important because they combine to create sulfate and other downstream stuff also.

Jarod

I'm actually not very well read about the amino acids aside from serotonin, dopamine precursors and the ones involved in methylation. It is my understanding that sulfite and sulfate are the downstream products of the the cbs enzyme and that some people have issues with them if they have cbs mutations and consume large quantities of high sulfur foods. I am not aware of how other amino acids are involved with sulfur.

As far as my problems are concerned, mine are mostly psychological. I struggle with OCD and have had it since I was at least 7 years old. I also have had some severe panic attacks in the past but have overcome them, but OCD is here to stay. I wouldn't doubt that I may have a few CFS like symptoms however. Even if I run 3 miles daily (true story, when I was playing on my high school soccer team) I can never seem to get in shape. I like to slouch constantly when I sit or walk due to a sort of constant back pain (maybe because I'm tall). I just have these pains in my body and I never feel "fresh" and read to spring into action. I am also slightly asthmatic, but that is only exercise induced, particularly if the air is cold.