• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Upping physical activity level yields diminishing returns 2/4/16 Fox News

*GG*

(This headline caught my attention, not specific to ME/CFS/CFIDS.)

Increasing physical activity to burn more calories works up to a point, but then the body adjusts to keep energy use stable, according to a new study.

As a result, people who are extremely active burn a similar number of calories as only moderately active people, researchers say. And for people trying to modify their weight, increasing exercise will not translate to endless increases in calories expended.

In a previous study, lead author Herman Pontzer of Hunter College at the City University of New York found that people in subsistence farming or hunter-gatherer societies, who are moving around and walking great distances for much of the day, have similar daily calorie burn to people in developed countries who are more sedentary.

“When I first got into this area with hunter gatherers in Tanzania, we measured daily energy expenditures and they were very physically active every day,” but weren’t burning more calories than adults in the U.S. or Europe, Pontzer told Reuters Health by phone.

cont'd

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/...elds-diminishing-returns.html?cmpid=NL_health