1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Upper airway resistance syndrome

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Martial, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Just found out I had this and WOW! Is it so vital to treat, while dealing with chronic illness I was having sleep issues much akin to sleep apnea without ever treating it! This lead to a dysregulated immune system which further stressed my infection and all the other negative effects of severe sleep deprivation!

In my case it happens because my jaw is set back, over bite, with a tongue that is pretty big, and enlarged tonsils so my breathing airway gets obstructed, alongside a deviated septum which prevents good breathing through my nose.. I was using a mouth guard for snoring over a year ago and it helped a lot but I started developing TMJ from it so had to stop.

Anyways wanted to post a thread about it with a link to read about it for others to possibly look into, I know I will never get fully better if this is not treated properly myself!

The info about it all can be found in the link I provided below!

http://doctorstevenpark.com/sleep-apnea-basics/upper-airway-resistance-syndrome

-Todd
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    adreno likes this.
  2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    How did he test for it Martial?

I've known a few PWCFS who have been told that they have this but never given any meaningful tests and felt no better after exercises/treatment etc.
  3. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I hope you get a lot of benefits from treating the UARS.
  4. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    Interesting, how can UARS be treated?
  5. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    @ukxmrv

Clinical diagnosis at sleep study clinic though he did not give me the exact name back then, Just knew it was a form of sleepind disorder where the airway gets obstructed by structural issues. Basically the tongue goes back and blocks breathing but very hard to catch on a traditional apnea test, you have to look for other specific things to add into the test for it. So the clinic would need knowledge on the cndition and be equipped to do proper testing for it.

@Thinktank

It is treated similiar to apnea with Cpap, or correctional surgery, alongside other options like mouth guards to bring the lower jaw forward, breathe right strips, and sleep habit changes like sleeping on one's side.

@SickOfSickness Thanks!

See more popular forum discussions.