• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Update on the “Secret” Files on ME/CFS + Wessely and the Wok?

patient.journey

http://valerieeliotsmith.wordpress....he-secret-files-on-mecfs-wessely-and-the-wok/
I have finally received all of the results of my appeals regarding the redacted information in these files so it is now possible to do a wrap-up of this topic.
The full story of my work on these files can be found in my post ‘The “Secret” Files on ME/CFS’ in the August 2012 archive (see sidebar on the right) but here is a brief re-cap:
For several years, there had been considerable speculation and rumour surrounding some “secret” files on ME/CFS which are held in The National Archives (TNA) at Kew in London, UK. In September 2011 I decided to use the Freedom of Information Act of 2000 (FoIA) to see if the files could be opened up. It transpired that there were two files - one from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and one from the the Medical Research Council (MRC).
The files contain documentation about ME/CFS (correspondence, notes of meetings, background material and details of benefits claims/research applications). Both files had been reviewed and archived in the normal way during the 1990′s. Because each file contained information which was properly exempt from disclosure under the Act, they were closed to the public until 2072 (DWP) and 2071 (MRC),,,,,

user9876

When I looked at the files posted on the internet the thing that struck me was how little was contained in the files. Perhaps instead of some deep conspiricy they simply say government has no interest in ME.